38

Khloe

Elliott and Chase left me alone for an hour and a bit whilst they started the barbecue up. I took the opportunity to start my studying again.

I sat at the desk and flashed through my revision cards, trying my best to get through as much as I could, but I was hungry and fatigued. My heart was fluttering slightly as I tried to get through the cards, but it seemed I only got through three before someone knocked on my bedroom door.

I jumped slightly, not expecting to be disturbed again. But, when I looked up, I saw that Jake had walked into my room and was stood looking down at me.

"Hey, cutie." He said, smiling down at me. I raised my eyebrows at him, he had used the nickname that he used to call me when I was little. He stopped calling me cutie about a year or so ago. I guess it was when I started coming home from a lot of parties and he got wrapped up in his social life and listening to Chase. "What?" He said, confused.

I shrugged. "Nothing." I said, it wasn't worth mentioning, but I also didn't want to draw attention to it. I wondered whether it was Unintentional?

He nodded and looked down at my notes scattered around my desk. "What you been doing?" He asked me.

"Revising." I explained.

Jake furrowed his eyebrows, the same way I would when I felt unsettled.

"What?" I asked.

He shrugged and perched besides me on the desk. "Between me and you, I wouldn't worry about being in the top ten."

I raised my eyebrow. "Why's that between me and you?"

"I hardly think any of us could blame you right now if you even failed." Jake said.

My eyes widened at the thought. I wasn't planning on failing my tests. There was no way in hell.

"Chill out, Khlo. The test this week doesn't count to our end of year grade anyway. It's just for the teachers to see where you're at." Jake said.

In nodded. "I can't fail, though." I said.

"It's not the end of the world, it doesn't count."

"I've never failed a test." I said. Even the ones I didn't work for, I always managed to scrape a C, but I never failed.

"Never?" Jake said, surprised, "even when you were at your old school? Your social life was hectic enough, you can't have had time to revise."

I shrugged. "I paid attention in class." I said.

It was a distraction, after all.

Jake nodded, slowly. "You know, you're full of surprises."

I didn't say anything. I didn't know how to respond. It was just another example of how much they hadn't noticed.

"But seriously, don't worry about this exam." Jake said to me.

I gulped. "Dad will kill me, apparently. He's already disappointed in me. I don't want to let him down anymore." I said.

Jake nodded. "I get it, but I'm sure Elliott will talk to him. He'll understand."

My eyes widened, if Elliott talked to him, he'd find out about everything.