37. Tension

Hamdan

I finish buttoning up my waistcoat and do one last adjustment to my tie. Looking at my watch, I realize we still got some time, hopefully Layla is almost ready. I leave the bedroom to go look for her in the dining area where the hairdresser set up her things to work. The knot in my stomach is getting more tight and is not even close to its worst, but it has always been the same for me during every race day. The hairdresser is still working on Layla but seems to me that she's almost finished, so I go stand in front of my wife to get her opinion on my look.

Layla lets out a sharp exhale when she sees me. "Oh, you look so handsome!"

"Thank you," I smile proudly. "I still need to put on my morning coat and top hat, though."

She giggles. "Honestly, I feel like we're putting on costumes for a play or something."

"Oh, believe me," I grab a chair to sit before her. "We will see some interesting looks today."

The hairdresser takes Layla's hat from the box on the table and starts adjusting it on her head.

"Tilt your head, please," the hairdresser requests.

Layla follows the instructions and then covers her mouth to let out a deep yawn.

"Are you still tired?" I ask her.

"Kind of," she tells me. "But this is insane, I slept for twelve hours! How am I supposed to get back to work once we're in Dubai?"

"You'll probably feel better by then like Dr. Evans said," I remind her.

"I really hope so."

"Did you take your prenatal vitamins?" I ask her.

"Yes," she does a small eye roll. "It's the second time today that you have asked me that."

"How does it feel?" The hairdresser asks Layla.

She shakes her head slightly. "I think it's good."

"Are you sure? Let me just put a couple more pins on this other side, just to be safe."

Layla tilts her head to the other side and smiles at me. Is this real? Is she really my wife? My pregnant wife? I still have to pinch myself sometimes, it all happened so fast. Well, it actually took a long time for all of this to happen, but once we decided to stick together everything happened at the speed of light. When I wake up in the morning, I like to take a few moments to watch her, just to appreciate her peaceful face and soft breathing and every time I have to say to myself yes, this is your life now.

The hairdresser is finally done and Layla stands up to do a twirl, making her pale pink dress dance briefly in the air. It is made out of some soft fabric I cannot name, falling right below her knees. Her hat, in a matching color, has flowers coming from underneath to the side of her face, highlighting her eyes beautifully.

"Do I look ready for my first Royal Ascot?" She wonders with a big smile on her face.

I stand up to kiss her on the cheek. "I have to show you something before we go."

She thanks the hairdresser and I take her back to the bedroom where we both stand by my bedside table.

"Earlier this morning, while you were still asleep," I begin explaining. "I went for a run with Ali and Abel and on our way back we passed a little store that caught my eye."

Layla raises her eyebrows. "Okay," she says, apparently not knowing where I am going with this.

"It was a baby store."