11. the mind flayer

THE MIND FLAYER

THE MIND FLAYER

・゚: * Nora stands beside Steve as she just watches the rest of group argue about when they last saw Mike and Will. Her arms crossed, she tries ignore the uneasy feeling in the back of her mind.

"The power's back," Nancy speaks up, interrupting the conversation.

Jonathan instantly walks over to the white control booth to the side and presses the button that should've opened the gates. He does it a few times, confused when it doesn't open.

"Let me try," Dustin pushes over and walks in with Jonathan.

"Hang on-"

"Let my try, Jonathan!" Dustin pushes him away. He presses that same buttons Jonathan did - with more power - but the gate still didn't budge. "Son of a bitch! You know what-" He starts punching random buttons aggressively.

"Dustin, that won't work. You're gonna break-" Nora is cut off when the gate suddenly opened, slowly, but surely.

Dustin shoots her a smug look. "You were saying?"

Her response gets caught in her throat as sudden gunshots were heard from the building. There was screaming from animals and humans alike, and Nora takes a step back.

"Guys?" Max asks, facing the opening of the gate where a car's headlights start shining on her face. Nora is about to pull her away, but Lucas got there first and grabs Max's hand quickly.

As the car pulls forward, Nora notices the Hawkins Police Department part on the side and sighs as Hopper's face appears. "Let's go!"

Everyone piles in, Steve waiting until all the kids were in. Everyone smushes together, and Nora has to hold in her gasp at the sight of an unconscious Will in Joyce's arms. She's wearing bloody nurse scrubs and Will's in a hospital gown. Nora is about to speak up, but Joyce just places a hand on her leg. "We gave him a sedative. He's okay."

"Why were you there?" Lucas asks. "What happened to Will?"

"It's. . . it's a long story," Hopper says frowning at Joyce's pale face. "We'll explain when we get to Joyce's."

No one says anything as the car races through the dark streets of Hawkins.

・゚: * As they get to the Byers' house, Hopper puts Will gently on a couch and Nancy and Jonathan are kneeling beside him. Hopper is down the hall, arguing frustratedly with someone over the phone about what happened in the lab. Everything had been explained to them as they entered, and Nora is sitting in the kitchen with the rest of the group, Max next to her. Steve's leaning against the counter, infamous bat next to him.

Eventually Hopper slams the phone against the receiver, letting everyone know the lack of belief in his experience.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asks, the only one of the party who stands up, along with Steve who starts pacing.