seven - back to you

The chilly wind raised goosebumps on Louis's skin, and he pulled his light jacket more tightly around his shoulders. Zayn and Liam trailed just a few steps behind him, debating whether they had better chances of running across a larger animal closer or farther from the river. The sun shone brightly through the forest canopy, the only sign that spring really would come in just a few long weeks.

When the wind changed direction, Louis paused, sniffing the air curiously. "Wait, is that . . ?"

"Louis!"

Niall's voice filled the air, and he sprinted into the clearing, ramming straight into Zayn. The two betas fell to the floor with a loud thump, limbs tangled as they rolled together like something out of a cartoon.

"For god's sake, Niall! Can you not watch where you're going?" Zayn exclaimed, grunting as the Irish boy landed on top of him. "You must've seen us a mile off!"

Niall ignored him, untangling himself from Zayn and scrambling to his feet. He propped his hands on his knees, bent over as he panted. "I . . . fuck, okay . . . Harry --"

Louis's eyes widened, every hair on his body standing on end. "Harry . . ?"

Niall was already shaking his head. "Harry's fine, he's . . . well, actually, I guess he's not fine," the beta admitted hesitantly. "He kind of . . . maybe . . . sort of . . . went into heat early?"

"He what?! Are you sure?" Louis exclaimed, his mind racing as he tried to figure out the best and most appropriate reaction to this unexpected information.

"Oh, yeah. I was just trying to soften the blow," Niall said bluntly. "He's definitely in heat."

With two fistfuls of the beta's shirt, Louis slammed him back against a tree. "And you left him alone?!" the alpha roared, his eyes flashing.

"I scented the area before I left!" Niall shouted back, not nearly as afraid of Louis as he should have been. "It'll cover his scent, but you need to hurry. The herbs and my scent will only last a little while, and traces of beta might not deter a determined alpha."

Louis cursed again, his blue eyes dark and stormy. He shoved Niall back against the tree one last time, and then released his iron grip on the beta's shirt, not hesitating to sprint off in the direction of their home.

"You're an idiot," Zayn commented as they watched Louis's back disappear into the distance, a bit too amused considering the stressful situation.

Niall shoved the other beta's shoulder, snorting, "What was I supposed to do -- fuck him through it?"

He glanced nervously over his shoulder as soon as the words left his mouth, as if Louis might have heard and turned back just to tear him limb from limb at the mere suggestion. Liam and Zayn burst out laughing, the sound echoing through the trees.

/

Louis rushed into the cave. Harry's scent had beckoned him from half a mile away, making his alpha growl protectively at the idea of anyone else knowing that his omega was in heat.

And that he wasn't there to take care of him.

Harry was trembling on the corner of their mattress, pressed back against the cave wall. His body was on full alert during his heat, his nerves reacting to even the smallest noises and movements around him -- especially without his alpha there to protect him.

"Harry, baby," he cooed softly, running across the cave. Harry looked so small and scared, curled up into the tightest ball he could manage, but relief washed over his face when he saw his mate.