27.

Layla walked down the down the halls of the high school with Caroline. Some how Layla was recruited for clean up. She decided to go to get Alaric off of her mind. She didn't want to feel the numbness of pain. She hasn't felt like that since her parents died.

Caroline was on the phone, quietly talking with Tyler. She was happy she was back, but felt bad he was Klaus' slave. Before she left, his hybrids were packing up there things so they could leave. Klaus went to her old house to gather somethings and in a few hours, her, Rebekah and Klaus would be out of here.

Caroline and Layla walked into the cafeteria. Rebekah was at a table clearing off the empty cups.

"Where's Matt?" Layla questioned.

Rebekah sighed. "He bailed. Got called into work at the last minute."

"Are you kidding me? So, it's just us?"

"Yes, and you're late." Rebekah snapped, "Clean up committee started at eight o'clock."

Layla looked at her phone screen. "It's like 8:02."

"Exactly. I managed to turn up on time and I didn't even get to attend the dance that I organized." Rebekah walked past Caroline and emptied the trash.

"I'm sorry about your mom." Caroline said to her. "I mean I know you like, hated her and everything, but still... I'm sorry."

Rebekah gave her a small nod. "I'm sorry about your teacher. He seemed like a nice guy."

Layla nodded. "Yeah. He was."

"I'm gonna get started on the gym." Rebekah them.

She walked out into the hallway. Rebekah rounded the corner, stopping dead in her tracks when she saw Alaric. Her eyes widened once she saw him.

"You're supposed to be dead." Rebekah stuttered.

"I am." Alaric smirked.

Rebekah rushed at Alaric but he threw her against a locker. He was about to stab her with the white oak stake when Caroline and Layla ran in. Caroline pinned Alaric against the locker. Layla rushed in a picked the stake up from the ground and stabbed Alaric with it. The three girls looked at each other as Alaric ripped the stake out. When he managed to get it out, he realized that they are gone.

Caroline had a tight grip on Layla's wrist as the girls reached the parking lot. Caroline pulled her keys out, once reaching her car. She struggled with opening the car, fiddling with the keys. Suddenly Layla saw Alaric's reflection in the car window and gasped. That is when Alaric took her head, and slammed it into the car. Darkness consuming her.
**************
Klaus was packing up things around the house while Rebekah ran inside. He frowned sensing something was wrong.

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me." Rebekah told him.

Klaus frowned, "Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead."

"Well, he's not and he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him." Rebekah told him, "He's strong, Nik. Too strong."

"Where is he now?"

"He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls he'll come after us. We need to leave now." She said.

"Layla, Rebekah. Where is Layla?" Klaus yelled.

"I don't know we got separated once he came. She was with Caroline." Rebekah sighed. "I don't know where she is now."

Klaus glared at his sister before rushing toward the door. Rebekah blocked his way, stopping him. "We can't he had the white oak stake!"

"This is Layla, Rebekah!" Klaus yelled. "We have to help her!"