35 Res

Nora~~

Why has Radia's number been disconnected?

Please call me.

I stepped away from my phone to shower. When I got out, I found one missed call, a voicemail, and two texts from Ryann.

Tye and I put up flyers two days ago. No one's contacted us about them.

Gathering my willpower, I call Ryann's number and break the news to him.

"Where are you?" he asks after I finish telling him what's happened.

"Tye's apartment."

"It's the same building as Radia's?"

"Yes. Tye doesn't want me living alone so he offered to let me stay with him."

"Text me his apartment number, and I'll be over in an hour."

"You don't have to—"

"You need friends, Nora. I want to help."

And because his words remind me of Radia's, I let him.

He arrives with his arms full of groceries in reusable bags. "I thought these might help." He holds up the bags.

I wipe away tears before they can fall and help him set them on the counter.

As we put the groceries away, he asks for details about what happened. I give them to him but don't tell him that I was taken before her. I don't tell him about the note. I tell him what he needs to know as a friend. And when it comes to me and Tye, I tell him that we quit our jobs and don't say anything about Charlie.

Ryann grabs some cans from the bottom of one of the bags. "You could work for me. My business is growing and could use the help. You'll meet people you wouldn't otherwise. Maybe even find out about Radia."

"You don't have to pity me." I put a jug of milk in the fridge.

"I mean it. Radia was my friend." Was. He's already relegated her to the past. He folds up his bags. "You meant a lot to her. She talked about you every time I saw her."

She was always concerned about me having people I could trust, and something in that footage of her gave me the feeling she knew they were coming for her. If she did, how long had she known? Before she left us in the conference room the last time? Would she have said goodbye if she had?

"All right. Thank you." I smile. "Really."

The bags folded, he stacks them. "Just let me know whenever you want to work, and I'll show you the ropes."

*****

A week into working for Ryann and a little over a week since Radia was taken, I find myself sitting on a barstool in his kitchen, sipping from a glass of water while he counts out my earnings for the day.

I just delivered my last order for the day before heading to his townhouse to give him the breakdown of my orders. His townhouse is located on the same subway line that goes to my home but on the opposite end of the tracks.

I didn't think I could enjoy working—not with Radia being gone, but I feel satisfied at the end of each day I work. I'm doing something even if it's turned up no clues about Radia.

Yet.

I can't lose hope.

Tye hasn't lost hope as much as he's just given up. With each day, he seems to lean more toward the possibility that Radia ran off on her own accord. I have to remind him of the security footage of her being dragged away against her will to get him back on my side.