Chapter 35: Helpless

*WARNING*: This chapter contains mentions of blood, mental manipulation and panic attacks. Viewer discretion is advised please! 

Working late nights in the lab was always a daunting experience.

Leilah had no idea who or what may pop in to see her and she'd rather not be startled by an unwelcomed visitor.

Nowadays, it was even worse with how tense thing were around here.

She was working on something that to her knowledge was very, very illegal and if anyone from the authorities found out, she would be on a one way trip to a lifetime prison sentence.

Which is why when Kayden decided to drop in, the young adult almost had a heart attack when Leilah pinned hi to the floor, a switch blade at his throat.

"WOAH WAIT! LEILAH IT'S ME!" The woman slowly gave a sigh of relief and helped Kayden up.

She was thankful that at this hour, she could manually turn off the cameras. Otherwise, she didn't know how she would ever explain Kayden's sudden appearence in what was supposed to be a classified lab. "Sorry Kayden...you scared me there."

The young man gave a sigh of relief as he brushed himself off. "Nah, you're good. Sorry 'bout that...I tried calling you but you weren't answering. Work keeping you occupied?"

The lavender haired woman nodded and gave a huff, running her fingers through her hair. "More or less...I've been working on something to help with my current predicament."

Kayden's eyebrows went up. "And...how's that going along?"

Leilah waved him over and showed him a vile of a hazy green liquid. "So far, I've been making decent progress. It'll still be another week or so before I can even think of testing this however. But i'm closer than I was before and that still counts."

The man nodded as he sat down in a spare office chair at one of the many vacant desks. "Speaking of progress...how's the kid? Have you gotten any closer to getting him out?"

Leilah bit her lip and looked down. "Not much...you know I can't do anything when they have Seraphina and Darren under their radar. Not only that but..."

Kayden raised an eyebrow and leaned forward slightly. "'But' what?"

Placing down her clipboard where she had written her notes, she pulled up a chair and sat down across from him. "Look...I'm not one hundred percent sure yet, but I think it has to do with the aura sensors."

Red eyes went wide as saucers as a wave of shock coursed through him. "You what...?! Leilah, are you sure?"

The woman nodded slightly. "John mentioned a few days ago about how before I started talking to him, Valerie wanted him to join EMBER's special task force."

Kayden leaned back a he absorbed this information. "But why? They would never trust John just like that. So why-?"

"Because I think they need John to finally finish it."

At that, the man instantly felt sick to his stomach. 

Aura sensors had always been a piece of concept technology. 

Supposedly, they could lock on and track anyone with an active aura signature for up to 10 miles. It eliminated the use for infrared sensors and was as portable as a wristwatch.

It would make catching criminals easier than ever as there would be nowhere to hide once they got a mark on your aura signature. Even if you deactivated your ability, it would still have a lock on you.