12. Battle of the Assassins

A/N: Indigo and Hyena are my OCs btw, for those of you who are not familiar with RWBY. They're not actual characters from the show, but I will try my best to write them nonetheless.
___________________________________

The two women began a standoff, choosing to remain on their guard. The chaotic atmosphere now had gone quiet. Both fixating their eyes and senses towards each other, ignoring everything except for what is in front of them. The air began to tense up around both combatants, and the group watching and staying behind can feel it.

Subaru can only sit and rest his eyes as they remain on their guard. He had done his part, which was stalling for time, which by itself is already a feat on its own at how long he managed to hold out against her without proper preparation. He then briefly looked at the two people standing there before focusing on Ruby, who had been carried over by Weiss to his side. He can see no visible injuries on the girl beside him, giving off a sigh of relief after judging her condition.

Beatrice is currently tending to his wounds, quietly muttering to herself at how useless she is as a spirit at not being by her contractor's side, even though she had recently scolded him for how reckless he was for not calling her to help. Subaru turned towards her after he overheard her monologue, and decided to give her a head pat to comfort her. It caught her by surprise, but soon enough she accepted it. It is as if both sides knew what message they're trying to convey to each other. And Subaru just knows what to do to reassure his Great Spirit.

Weiss on the other hand is more concerned than he is, but still making sure that she stays well-mannered and composed, like the aristocrat and heiress to her corporation that she is. "How did this happen?" She suddenly spoke up, not locking her eyes at him as she focused on caressing and comforting her friend beside her.

"I-I don't know! That Hyena girl suddenly came barging in and thrashed up the store we're in. We were lucky enough to dodge the initial attack!" He answered. Weiss questioned how energetic he is despite his injuries.

"So was it you that was her target, or Ruby?" She asked once again.

"I'm not entirely sure. But judging by her attitude, it seems I'm her target." He replied. All of his deaths involved him being directly tied as a target, making him flinch a little.

Weiss was visibly shocked by that answer but shrugged it off before speaking once again. She decided to change the topic, "You...fought her first huh?"

Subaru nodded. She then continued, "How did you manage to survive then?"

"Uhh...battle experience? Plus, I think she was just playing with me, I would have died many times over if she didn't." He said, chuckling awkwardly.

Weiss blinked several times, "Battle experience, really? Your aura is too weak to let you even fight without assistance! How much of an idiot can you possibly be!?"

"R-right. Well I don't have a choice, Ruby wouldn't possibly survive against her and I was forced to stall for time!"

"You really are an idiot..." Weiss facepalmed, "But at least you proved that you have experience in fighting without much ot an aura I'll give you that."

As they conversed, Indigo noticed that Hyena was shaking, being impatient, and trying to come up with a way to strike her swiftly. She smiled with relief under her mask. But, she ponders whether or not to go hard on her obviously brainwashed friend. It will be a risky endevaour trying to find the right way to end it without hurting her that much. But when she saw her fidgeting like that, she can only smile. Saving her is possible. "You're shaking in impatience. It looks like there are things that even your curse couldn't fully block"