13

Warning: sensitive topics (arrest, and foster care)

"Hurry ma before dad puts the game on!" Toby dove onto the couch grabbing the remote.

"Go get it Lani hurry!" Schlatt said putting the toddler down.

"Bubba gimme!" Lani ordered tugging on the remote.

"Lani Grace Schlatt. Be nice to bubba." Dawson took the remote from Toby and put on a movie. "We aren't watching football love."

"Oh come on. It's the game of the season." Schlatt sat down next to his partner.

Lani climbed onto the couch and sat next to Toby who had sat up.

The family of four sat enjoying their Sunday watching movies.

A sudden knock took them from their daze.

Schlatt got up and walked over opening the door. "Hello officers. How can I help you?"

Dawson got up. "Keep Lani over here Toby." They walked over. "Whats going on?"

"We're looking for Jay Schlatt." The officer said in a monotone voice.

"I'm Jay Schlatt. May I ask why?" He looked back at his children.

"Is Tobias Schlatt here?" They asked.

"Yes. Whats going on?" Schlatt questioned.

"You're under arrest for the abduction of Tobias Schlatt." The officers placed handcuffs on Schlatt as they read him his rights.

"Dad whats going on?!" Toby walked over. "Stop let him go!"

"Bud it's okay. Take care of Lani and ma. It's gonna be okay." Schlatt told his son.

"Daddy?" Lani called holding her bubbas hand.

Dawson picked her up. "Come on loves let's go to the living room." They led their children away.

-

"He's his biological father. Why don't you get that?" They asked running a hand through their hair.

"We understand but did he abduct Tobias?"

"No. His birth mother left when Toby was about one. I don't know the details. I didn't meet my husband until Toby was four." They looked over at the children.

"I never had a mom before. She tried taking me but I wouldn't go and dad wouldn't let her take me. I only had my dad until he got with ma." Toby said not looking up from the page he was coloring with Lani.

"What about Lani? How did they get lani?"

"She's no animal. She was adopted. They fostered her for a year and a half before she was officially my sister."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you."

"Thats enough. They're done here. Dawson, Toby, Lani lets go meet Schlatt at the station."

The officers walked out.

"Is my birth mom the cause of this?" Toby asked picking up Lani.

"Yes. She made claims. I came from the station. Schlatt wants to see you all. She gave a convincing statement and I'm sorry Tobias but you're going to a foster home."

"No. No. She signed her rights away." Dawson gasped out.

"She claims she was forced."

"She could've said that when it happened when Toby was ten."

"She claims she was paid to stay quiet."

"Is this seriously happening? We were just watching a movie and now my husband's in custody. And my son is being taken."

-

"Its going to be okay bud. We love you. You'll be home soon." Schlatt kissed his sons head holding him close.

"Stay strong sweetie. I love you so much my boy." Dawson hugged Toby after their partner. Tears soaked both of their shirts.

Toby knelt down and hugged his sister. "Tak care of ma. I'll be home soon Lani. I love you."

Lani clutched his shirt. "Love you bubba." The girls frame shook not wanting to lose her bubba.