oo5. 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘊𝘈𝘓𝘔 𝘉𝘌𝘍𝘖𝘙𝘌 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘚𝘛𝘖𝘙𝘔

WASHINGTON, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

2018

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THE NEXT MORNING FOLLOWED the same routine of waking up, packing and then hitting the road. Fortunately for them, waking up without the sun's presence wasn't required this time.

Estela had taken it upon herself to set an alarm on her phone for eight o'clock, meaning she didn't need Dick waking her up with his aggressive shaking. Considering how their conversation went last night, she didn't really want him to either.

But true to her word, she didn't bother reminding him that she was driving today. Already seated in the driver's seat, she waited as Rachel shut the car door after her, before speeding out of the motel and into the interstate highway.

It was only a four hour drive to Washington from where they currently were, and Dick reckoned they would probably reach Hank and Dawn's apartment by noon.

Estela had to hand it to him, though—the man actually let her drive his most prized possession without an ounce of complaints. She was glad for it, and made a mental note to thank him later, even if some leftover annoyance from last night still settled in her heart.

The two of them didn't address it, nor did they look at each other in the eyes for too long. Almost like they silently agreed not to bring it up entirely. Dick opted it as a good time to update Rachel on her case report.

"According to those files, the man who came after you may have been part of some doomsday cult," he explained. "They apparently believe it's their destiny to prevent the end of the world. Does that mean anything to you?"

Estela's eyes snapped to the rear-view mirror to take a glimpse at Rachel, who was reading through the papers strewn on her lap. 

"Well, back when I was a kid, I didn't get too angry or scared," she told them, slightly leaning against the console to address them, "'cause bad things happen."

"What kind of bad things?" Estela asked her.

One corner of Rachel's mouth quirked up. "I guess I'm an orphan, too, now."

Estela shared one short glance with Dick; she had a feeling that the teenager wasn't just referring to the conversation she had with her last night.

Dick set his lips in a straight line and snickered softly.

"That billionaire, Bruce Wayne, he raised you?" Rachel asked him.