Chapter 19

Jeremy ran towards the door but was immediately pushed back because of the magical barrier. He growled and tried again and again but he was continuously blocked because of the spell. He wondered for a few moments if he could escape via the window but he immediately pushed the thought out of his mind. Bonnie just gave him an apologetic look as she went off with Elijah.

Jeremy spared a look at John but he couldn't do it. His hands started to glow red as he clawed at the barrier, eventually bringing it down. John gasped and looked in amazement, never seeing anything like that in his life.

The ordeal had weakened him quite a bit but there was no time to rest. He had to get down towards the quarry like his life depended on doing so. He wiped his nose which was bleeding slightly and he ran out, stumbling softly as he went, sparing a last glance to John who was in the shadows. His heart stung. He knew that he wouldn't see him again.

— — —

Meanwhile, down at the quarry, Klaus's witch was nearly done with the first part of the spell, already sacrificing the werewolf and vampire. Now it was the fate of the last doppelganger. Klaus had walked over to her, a smirk deep in his face as he went up to her, grabbing her arm as he led her to her death. "Nono, you don't have to do this, please —" but her cries fell on deaf ears as Klaus wasn't listening to anything that she was saying. "Go to hell," she spat, her voice laced with venom and contempt.

"Now now, so much anger in a tiny little body," he chuckled softly and put her in place as Greta was continuing to chant. He couldn't believe that this was happening. After thousands of years of trying to break the curse that bound his wolf side, he would finally be free. No longer would he be half the man he was forced to be that was made to walk upon the earth. He would finally be the powerful hybrid that he was always meant to be.

Klaus had walked behind Elena when he spotted someone walk up the hill towards where the ritual was taking place. He growled low in his throat. There was nothing that the pathetic little Salvatore brothers could do. It was time and the sacrifice was going to be completed. He never got this far just to be stopped, even if he had to slaughter all of her family and friends in order to make them listen.

"There's nothing that you can do, Salvatore'" he called out, knowing that the younger vampire could see and hear everything. He smirked devilishly, wrapping his arms around the doppelganger's waist as he placed his plump lips on her neck as Elena instantly leant her neck to the side, trembling in his arms.

It was absolute torture. She felt that Klaus was dragging out her death on purpose, enjoying the suffering and pain that she was going through, gloating and glorifying in his wicked success of sacrificing the last human doppelganger. Why did it always have to be her? She felt as if she was cursed. She was cursed - after all, she was the last doppelganger.

She hated him so much and she would continue to be hating him and everyone around him until the day she died. "Just get on with it!" she whimpered pitifully, wriggling around in his arms, the anxiety rippling through her body. She couldn't even see clearly, her eyes blurred with tears, the fire and embers stinging at her eyes, making it difficult to breathe. She coughed as she tried to get her breath.

A low rumble rang out behind her and she shivered despite herself. She closed her eyes tightly shut - not wanting to see the heartbreaking expression in Stefan's eyes as he watched her die. Stefan was forced to watch, with his fists clenched. He knew what would happen if he intervened one last time and he wouldn't let anything more happen.

Klaus took a deep breath, running his nose along her neck, the scent of her rich, sweet blood invading his senses. He let his supernatural features take over before his fangs elongated and he lowered his mouth down and bit.

— — —

Come on, come on! Jeremy willed his legs to run faster than he had ever ran in his sixteen years of living. This situation was of life and death. He had to get there faster but he felt as if he was going slower than intended. His breath was rasping out in harsh, choppy breaths as his chest heaved up and down with effort, stumbling through. There was a bitter taste rising up inside his throat but he pushed it down, ignoring the buildup of the lactic acid that was locking his muscles in place, making it painful to even take another step but he had to. He was so close, he wasn't about to give up right now. Not ever.

He felt like screaming as his legs trembled and shook as he practically crawled along the ground, his legs suddenly not supporting himself as his legs buckled up underneath him. He stumbled up towards his feet as he grasped onto the rough bark of the tree, his nails digging into the wood as he blinked his bleary eyes, seeing the rings of fire up above. He gasped hoarsely, his throat scratchy and dry like sandpaper. He whirled around and saw Elijah and Bonnie walk up in tow, both having dark and determined looks on their faces.

Jeremy knew that it was too late. He turned the other way just in time to see Klaus in all of his awful glory, taking the last bit of life force out of his sister before letting her drop to the ground like a broken doll. "Noooo!!" he screamed, falling onto his hands and knees, his position looking as if he was about to transition into a wolf on the full moon. He saw the strings unwind from Klaus's body. He had failed everyone and more importantly himself, yet again. He couldn't do anything right.

It was too late.

Bonnie had knocked out Klaus's witch and he had seen Elijah speed over to Klaus who was relishing in his now full glory of being a powerful but at this moment, a vulnerable hybrid, plunging his hand deep into his chest, curling his hand around his heart

With one last cry towards the darkened heavens he screamed out in sorrow and anger, letting the darkness take over him once more.