Chapter 20

I sit up in my bed suddenly.

Glancing towards the windows, I take notice that the sun was rising, which must have meant the time was around five to five thirty in the morning. My wolf was the reason I woke up. She was stirring around. I had absolutely no idea what that meant but a flashback of the last time I woke up early attacked my vision.

Without consciously realizing it, I had begun to move towards the door, with my hand outstretched. Twisting the doorknob, I hesitantly stepped outside my room and moved towards the staircase. By the time I had descended the stairs, my wolf was begging me to run outside.

Why? I questioned confused. JUST DO IT!

I slowly walked towards the door when my mates scent attacked my nose. Turning quickly, I began thinking of excuses I could use for being out of bed so early when I realized that his scent was faint. He isn't here. He was, but not anymore.

By this point my wolf had gone quiet now. She expected me to follow his scent without further instructions. Taking in a deep breath, I ran my fingers over the doorknob and opened the door. The guards were like usual, stationed in front of the house. I really didn't think there was any use for them. All they did was stand in one spot doing nothing.

Like most times, one of the guards approached me. "Luna," he says quietly, "may I ask were you are going?"

"My mate asked for me in our mind link," I say, the lie somehow coming out smooth. The guard though seemed like he was about to mind link Thaddeus, so I rushed to say, "he's mad right now. I don't think it'd be wise to try and mind link him at the moment."

That seemed to do the trick because he was nodding away. "Do you know which way he went?"

"He walked into the woods about five minutes ago. You can follow his scent," the guard says. I nod and thank him before setting off towards the woods. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be so easy.

When I made it to the woods, I followed his scent which led me to a pile of clothes belonging to him. He must have shifted, I thought. As I stand near his clothing, I realize he must have been pacing in different directions because his scent was all over the place.

I walked around trying to find the correct direction he went into. I ended up spending probably five to ten minutes walking around and in the end I ended up in the same spot his clothing lay. Feeling fed up and completely frustrated, I headed back to the house when a low growl had me freezing up. Another flashback of that night when I was speaking to Beta George and growls suddenly appeared, attacked my mind. I tensed up and turned around slowly.

A sigh escaped my mouth when I noticed it was just my mate. I observed him before understanding why I couldn't find him. He was almost hard to see because he was laying down near a bush. With his pitch black fur, he could have been invisible if it weren't for my use to be watchful eyes. I must have been walking past him this whole entire time. I blush in embarrassment.

I stay in my spot before moving my legs. Moving towards him though, he doesn't do anything but watch. His dark eyes pierce mine as I move until I am standing in front of him. His wolf was probably an inch taller than me when he was laying down.

For some reason my hand began moving towards his head and in a few seconds notice, I was stroking the side of his face. He didn't seem to mind though because he didn't make a sound as I continued to stroke his face. Eventually my hand began to wander to his side where I gently rubbed him. He turned his head to glance at me and I swear I saw some sort of emotion in his dark eyes.

A few moments later he opened the mind link with me.

Shift, was all he said. He nudged me towards a tree and instead of complaining I did as I was told. Rushing to a tree to take cover, I quickly stripped and shifted. I stretched out my wolf limbs and dashed towards my mate who was still in the same position as before.