11

The name Nathaniel meant nothing to Phoebe. Instead of being the nosy busybody that her sister Penelope was, she prayed her sister would one day outgrow the need to hear the latest gossip, she decided to make herself at home among the Bridgerton clan.

Obviously Colin was preoccupied entertaining his new visitor. Daphne was likely a ball of nerves in the formal living room with her mother. Eloise and Penelope were run off to eavesdrop and spy on the foreign visitor. Francesca was off studying the pianoforte. Gregory and Hyacinth were too young to be appropriate company for long. The eldest Bridgerton had stormed off and was likely brooding somewhere for some unknown reason. Besides, after seeing him behave in such a manner over nothing, Phoebe really had no desire to see him again.

That left one Bridgerton. And Phoebe had a hunch she knew exactly where he would be.

She took her time, admiring the paintings adorning the walls and gazing out the towering windows as she made her way to the garden. The Bridgerton's taste in decor was impeccable. If only her home housed such beautiful things, she would be certain that she would want to study the art of watercolors as well.

She spied her victim through the garden door, sat his easel with his back to her. She could tell it was him by the way his shoulders were hunched in concentration. His charcoal was gripped tightly in his hand and Phoebe wondered if it might snap in half. Not wanting to startle him, she made sure to clack her heels along the stone walkway as she made her way over to join Benedict on his bench.

Hearing that he was no longer alone, he turned around with a perfectly raised brow. Upon seeing his visitor, he broke into a sparkling smile. The edges of his eyes crinkled in the happiest of ways and a small chuckle escaped his lips. "Miss Featherington, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" He set his charcoal in its tray and rested it gently on the easel.

Phoebe could not help but return the smile. He was always such a happy man, Benedict. Always laughing or smiling or joking. She could not think of a time when his brow had been furrowed or an unwelcoming expression upon his face. While Anthony was brooding and Colin was a charmer, Benedict was the most easygoing. There had been a few times he had asked the wallflowers at the balls, herself and sisters included, to dance or to join him in conversation. He had invited the Featherington clan, at the insistence of his mother no doubt, to have a first glimpse of his dabbling in drawing. Maybe it was the Bridgerton in him, the kindness. Maybe it was just who he was. Regardless, Phoebe quite enjoyed spending time with him.

"I simply cannot visit the Bridgerton house without saying hello to one of my favorite Bridgertons."

He gestured to the seat next to him. Not too close that it would be improper but not too far that she could not see the easel. Besides, it was not as if the entire family could see out into the garden through the countless windows if they desired. "I was unaware that you were visiting today."

The girl gave a slight yet knowingly unladylike shrug and sighed. "To be quite honest, I was not intending to visit today. I had been invited to promenade with your brothers and Penelope but that quickly turned sour." She could not bring herself to look into the man's brown eyes for too long. She knew he would manage to get the entire story out of her and she simply did not have the energy or desire to want to relive another Anthony Bridgerton meltdown.

The gentleman beside her nodded. "I did hear the door slam but I figured that was another unworthy caller being ushered out by our dear Anthony." He tilted his head to the side to get a better look at her face. "That does not seem to be the case, however."

She scoffed and rolled her eyes. Her mother would be absolutely fuming if she knew her daughter was behaving this way in front of such a bachelor. But it was Benedict and he was like her brother. "You could say that." She brushed a stray piece of auburn hair behind her ear and continued to gaze at his drawing. "This is beautiful. You managed to capture the tree so well, it seems as if it is moving in the wind."