No Farewells

(Y/N) had his eyes closed, laying face up in a dark place if the lack of light through his eyelids was anything to go by.

Honestly, he was a bit scared of opening his eyes right now. That's because beneath his back was not the snow of the mountaintop, but a rough stone ground. He'd been kept in a room with stone ground once, a room where sleep was one of three ways to keep himself motivated.

He knew this wasn't it. It couldn't be. Not after all this time, not anymore. But he was still hesitant, afraid of finding out that all his adventures had just been a very good dream. That his thunderous heartbeat right now was nothing but a hallucination...

(Y/N): If not for you, do it for them you little bitch.

Using his number one motivator, he slowly opens his eyes to take in his dark environs.

What he sees... no, what he is rewarded with is nothing other than fair skin and two golden orbs peering down at him with warm affection.

(Y/N): Luca was right, this is a great way to wake up.

He was sprawled out on the ground of... some pocket dimension, Nicola's pocket dimension? It was dark and had no horizon he could see, but there was this mysterious and gentle blue light coming from the "sky" that was just bright enough to light the way and not strain the eyes of the residents.

Io: What do you mean?

Beside him was Io, who was kneeling beside and attentively watching over him. She asked the question with a slight tilt to her head, being cute without even knowing it.

(Y/N): I'll tell you when you're older. *Grunts* Where are the others?

(Y/N) props himself up on his elbows, becoming very aware of how sore his body is after that fall. His question was partially answered by the landscape, which only had one path forward.

Io: They went on ahead.

(Y/N): And didn't want me with them?

Io: They didn't want to disturb you. You looked comfortable laying down to rest.

(Y/N): *Chuckles* Yes, very comfortable in my bed of other-dimensional rocks...

(Y/N) doesn't wait for any reaction to his comment before trying to get up, partly  because he doesn't expect one. Io, with firm and gentle hands, assists him in getting on his feet. His fast heartbeat was somehow noticed by Io through all those clothes too.

Io: Are you nervous?

(Y/N): No, just coming down from the highest adrenaline surge I've ever had.

The human takes a deep breath and unzips the upper part of his jacket, reaching inside as he starts walking to catch up to the others, Io following close behind. This place wasn't all that cold, maybe a bit chilly, but nothing like the mountain he was just on, and the air here felt normal to the point where he could breathe normally like... wait, something was missing. Several somethings were missing.

Palming around on the inside of his jacket, (Y/N) expected to at least prick his fingers a bit on his dangerously hidden stash. but there was nothing in there.

(Y/N): Where the hell are my daggers?

Io: We are always unarmed when we walk into these spaces.

(Y/N) raises his fists, clenching and looking at them with a serious air.

(Y/N): So just Righty and Lefty? I feel exposed.

Io: It's okay, there is no danger in here.

As they walked forward, large statues of Nicola in various poses could be seen in the distance. in all of them he was sitting, thinking. In some he looked up at the stars, in others he looked down in resignation to his fate.