Chapter 37 - Lena's Drunken Destruction

"Sam?" Lena asks, confused, as she sees Ruby and Sam entering through her front door.

Sam looks at Lena very worryingly as she moves into Lena's penthouse, with Ruby following closely behind her mom, with a worried look on her face as well.

"Lena, what the hell?!" Sam says as, she takes Lena's bloody hand in her own.

"Mom..." Ruby says.

"Not now Ruby." Sam replies firmly, too concerned with Lena's physical state to see what her daughter is trying to gravitate her attention towards.

As Sam touches Lena's hand and begins inspecting it, noticing some glass shards still embedded in her hand, Lena flinches. For the first time since getting up off of the ground, after being woken by Sam banging on her front door, Lena feels pain in her hands. Sam quickly then uses her fingers to pick out all the shards of glass in both of Lena's hands, knowing she needs to do it as soon as possible.

"Ahmmm." Lena groans.

"Lena, how in god's name did you do this?" Sam asks, concerned, as she continues to inspect her best friend's hand.

"Mom!" Ruby says, more firmly.

"What?!?" Sam replies, in a briefly annoyed tone, thinking her attention needs to be entirely on Lena right now, and not whatever Ruby is trying to point out to her.

Ruby just points her hand towards the kitchen area of Lena's apartment, pointing out to her mother the significant number of broken bottles, and the glass shattered everywhere. As Sam inspects the scene, she sees a Lena like shape amongst the glass, clearly where Lena was laying when she woke up, thankfully not having laid on top of any broken glass itself. However, Sam can also see a bunch of blood on the kitchen floor, in four different locations. It looks like the blood must have come from where Lena tried to stand up, and not being completely aware of her surroundings, thanks to her hungover state, placed both her hands, and her knees, on top of the glass, cutting them, and embedding the glass in them. Then as Sam continues to look over at the kitchen, she sees a bloody hand print on the kitchen island, which was clearly where Lena placed her hand to steady herself when she got to her feet.

"Thank you, Ruby, I'm sorry for snapping." Sam says to her daughter.

Ruby responds with a nod and a little smile, although still with a lot of worry on her face, worry for her aunt Lena. Sam for her part notices the worry on her daughter's face, and having accessed the situation knows this isn't a place her daughter should really be right now.

"Ruby?" Sam asks.

"Yes mom?" Ruby replies.

"Could you grab my phone out of my bag while I have a look at aunt Lena's hands. Please be careful of stepping in, or touching, any broken glass." Sam says.

"Okay." Ruby nods and then walks back towards the front door and crouches down to search through the small bag which Sam had carried into the apartment with her, and dropped on the ground as soon as she had seen Lena's bloody hands.

"Lena, what the hell?" Sam says again, annoyed, directing her attention back at the youngest Luthor.

"It's my fault.... It's my fault.... I deserve it..... it's my fault..." Lena mutters, still in a bit of a hungover daze.

Sam sighs.

"I know what happened. Jess called me. She is the reason we came to National City so early. But for now, I need to take a look at your hands, and your knees." Sam says, looking down Lena's body and seeing two bloody patches on the knee area of the jeans that Lena is wearing.