Chapter 22

Esmeray did her best to keep up with her training.

Despite the lack of hybrids, she managed to find people to practice with, and it was helping her build up her strength.

It had already been several days since Elijah had awoken, but he hadn't chosen to leave the mansion. Esmeray suspected he was planning what he wanted to do in the outside world.

She, of course, had gone out on runs because it was safer in Mystic Falls. She popped into the Salvatore House to see Damon, which usually ended in a very passionate makeout sessions that made her feel surprisingly dissatisfied. She'd taken her anger out on Alaric's punching bag, because she feared what it meant.

Klaus's comment had left her feeling almost lightheaded. She'd received compliments before; this was nothing new. But from him, it seemed to mean more. Was it because she knew that he'd met many women before, and if he told her she was beautiful, he surely meant it? Was it because her inner wolf was attracted to him and sought out his approval, which meant that when he told her she was wonderful, she ought to believe him? She didn't want to think of it at all, aside from her gratitude, because thinking of it kept making her feel flustered. He made her heart skip several beats at once, and she worried he'd pick up on it if she wasn't careful.

"Are you intending to take a break from all the punching, love?" inquird Klaus the following morning when he found her downing a jar of peanut butter alongside apple slices. "It's the first time I haven't heard you all huffy and puffy at this hour in days. It's as if you're training with the intention of slaughtering three little pigs."

Esmeray snorted, covering her mouth so peanut butter wouldn't fly out of her nose. That would be embarrassing. "I just thought to rest, since I heard Elijah leave earlier," she explained. "I heard him telling the servants to start preparing a fancy dinner. What's that about?"

Klaus rolled his eyes and came to stand beside her, taking one of the apples from her. "As it turns out, those pesky Salvatore brothers would like to dine with us. I'm surprised your boyfriend didn't tell you."

Esmeray gritted her teeth. "He's not my boyfriend yet, Klaus."

"At any rate, it's a good thing you're here. I have chores for you." He licked his thumb free of peanut butter, staring at her so intently that she grew flustered and looked away before clearing her throat. "What task do I have on my plate now?" she asked.

He leaned onto the counter. "The fourth coffin. I assume you know what's in it?"

"Your mother's dead body. But... I thought you got the coffins back?"

"Not all of them. Damon Salvatore managed to keep the last one. I'm, once again, surprised this beau of yours didn't inform you of it."

"I've been living here, we haven't had much chance to gossip about you," she said with a cheeky smile.

"The point is, they have the coffin, and I want it. No doubt, they seek to open it. Tonight, I expect they'll come to make a deal. In the meantime, I want you to do a spell to try and find the coffin. If you can't, you will attend dinner to see how things go. If the coffin is not going to be returned to me by tonight, you will need to speak with Damon to retrieve it for me."

"Look, honestly, Klaus, this is between you and Damon. I don't want to be put in the middle of that. I'll do a spell and I'll go to this dinner, but I'm not going to go and grill him about its whereabouts because honestly, I don't give a damn about Esther."

He laughed. "While you may not care about my mother's body, you must understand... it matters to me to have my family together. I do not wish for Damon to open that coffin."