• 175 •

Xue clenched his jaw, struggling against his opponent. There was only one person in the world who could hold him back this easily, and in his current state. 

The devil with the lazy smile. 

“Veau, yo-you bastard!” 

“Hmm,” the cobalt blue-haired devil shrugged. “There is no point in cursing me.” 

K’xug had finished his fight with his opponent, bringing the unconscious demon over. He swooped down with his wings at that moment, and he witnessed the entire chaotic scene. 

He paused.

Light magic. 

Light magic from Hana. 

She’s regaining her strength. 

He gasped, looking towards the portal. 

It was too late. 

At the distance he was at now, K’xug couldn’t do anything. He couldn’t save Cecil even if he wanted to.

He noticed Xue was held back by Veau, not surprised by Veau's unexpected presence. He summoned his sword, sending it flying towards Veau. 

At the same time, he dropped to the ground and hurled the unconscious demon aside. 

“Light magic?!” The demon woman hissed out. “Damnit, the portal!” 

The ice arrow that transformed into light magic pierced right into the portal, and the portal began to destabilize. Despite that, it was still too late. 

Cecil sank right through it, her body disappearing. Everyone could only watch on helplessly.

“Cecil!” 

“Damn it!” 

Haru and Kiyae cried out, standing up on their feet. 

Veau dodged K’xug’s sword, and it allowed the opportunity for Xue to slip past him and charge towards the frantic demon woman. She was the only one who knew where the portal went to, and there was no way Xue was allowing her to escape.

Veau simply turned back, sending out a swirl of black magic with a wave of his hand. It grew bigger and surrounded the demon woman, enclosing her in a barrier. Just before Xue could land a hit on her, he bounced back along with his spear, his eyes murderous as he glanced back at Veau. 

“Thank you, Lord Veau!” The demon woman exclaimed, hurriedly disappearing from the scene after summoning another portal. “I will take my leave now!” 

Xue tried to reach out for her again, but the barrier was simply too strong. 

“Not so fast, Xue,” Veau smiled lightly. “It was disrupted, who knows where your dearest Cecil Lan has disappeared to now.” 

“Xue! We’ll split up!” 

“Yeah, she has to be here somewhere!” 

Haru and Kiyae overheard Veau’s words. They set off and Veau tried to stop them, but this time, Xue was the one standing in his way. 

“Are you sure you should be stopping me right now?” 

“If I don’t,” Xue narrowed his eyes. “You’ll run off and kill them both.” 

Veau raised his eyebrows. “What’s this, Xue? Have you finally decided to make friends once again?” 

Xue’s figure disappeared and appeared behind Veau, but that swift attack was quickly prevented by Veau.