Chapter 17: Tonic (Day 5) Edited

You awoke suddenly as a gust of air ran over you.

The clock illuminated itself on the bottom of the TV. What woke you up in the middle of the night? You sat up and looked around, trying to make out anything with the little light you were given. You couldn't help but notice the window on the wall that was wide open, shouting at you to close it before any more cold air peaked in. The window frame was lined with curtains that were blowing in to expose the full moon waiting outside. You felt a shiver as you stepped out of bed and made your way over to the source of the intermittent.

Looking out the window, you saw that the ground was far away from you. It would be a long fall if you fell out. Somehow, you felt a passion. It was almost as if something was guiding you up onto the snappy window sill. Shaking your head, you drove the thoughts out of your mind.

You closed the window and turned the lock on the top.

"And now you locked me in, not out."

You quickly spun around to greet the voice behind you. All you saw was a figure half out of the darkness. You asked who it was multiple times, but you weren't given an answer. Instead, you were met with a hand telling you to step closer. You didn't want to do that. No, you didn't want to do that at all. There was no reason to when you were unaware of the person the hand belonged to.

"Not until you tell me who you are."

A pause, but then an answer.

"An old friend," a masculine voice sighed.

You heard the unknown person take footsteps towards you. You asked them what they wanted, but they clammed up again. The man's face reached the small amount of light from the window and you recognized it instantly. The glowing red eyes gave it away, after all. And there was no point keeping a secret the entire world already knew. Maybe you didn't know though. Maybe it wasn't who you were thinking. But at the moment, it seemed like the taxi driver had come to pay you a visit in the middle of the night.

"Who the hell are you?" you asked aimlessly. You tried to get him to stop and answer questions so you would have time to open the window behind your back. You frantically searched the frame for the lock with your hand.

"I'm one of Jeff's friends. A killer, just like him," the man said.

An image flashed into your mind. At a different time or place, you would have shrugged it off to be a memory of a nightmare, but at that particular moment, it meant something to you. It was of a boy sitting next to you, staring at you with a bloody complexion. His eyes pleaded. But you didn't know what they were asking. You abandoned them in order to clear your own head.

You blinked, but the image wouldn't subside. You felt guilt and sorrow and worry that just wouldn't leave. Just like how the man wouldn't leave. This man was striking memories back into your brain, and you weren't ready to take on such hardship. The memories you desired weren't pretty, but they weren't consumable either. They would only fog you with confusing thoughts, distract you from the real world you now lived in. Remembering dead people isn't worth it. Not when everyone else in your life has tried their hardest to forget. They even forced you to forget.

"Jeff isn't a killer," you stated. "He didn't-"

"He did."

A tear almost fell down your soppy cheeks. And the doctor wouldn't approve of that. He never wanted you to cry over someone you would never know about. You couldn't rejoice or marvel at the good times you spent anymore. You knew someone's name was missing from the pages you filled with desire, and the empty slot enticed you furthermore.

"You're being lied to," the man said.

You found the lock on the window and ripped it towards you, turning around to open it. Maybe there would be a chance that you could escape. But, like fate holding you back, a hand of the enemy grabbed your arm and pulled you away from the exposed air.

"Stop fooling yourself. Don't take the 'medicine' anymore," he said calmly. "I should go before he gets back. I wouldn't want you to forget this conversation."

And he was gone. He vanished completely. You didn't see him leave. He just... wisped away. Static surrounded your feeble mind, and you knew you were losing more time than you ever had before. Thinking about why the world works would always be the main cause of lost fractions of the fourth dimension. You didn't know anymore. Could you really trust Jeff? There had been so many times that you lost his trust and you just didn't know why. You knew that it had something to do with your missing memories.

"Nothing," you said to yourself. "It was nothing. Only a nightmare."

Guilt washed over you as you lied to thin air. You hoped that your plan wouldn't backfire and that you weren't making a mistake. It was all or nothing. If Jeff really was lying to you, you were making the biggest mistake of your life, but if he wasn't lying, you were doing the right thing. It wouldn't be a mistake, right? It wouldn't end up being the worst decision ever either way? That's what you hoped for. A time when you didn't have to doubt yourself or go against your first instincts.

Fate had already made your decision.

You jumped out of bed, running over to the window. You opened it as wide as it could possibly go and held a pill in your hand as you said an apology under your breath:

"I'm sorry, Jeff."

You then threw the pill out the window. It almost felt like all the trust you had for him was being taken right out of your hands, washed away by your own fears. You heard the clatter of the red bead as it flew off the metal corridor and landed onto the pavement below. Maybe you would be able to do the same thing one day.

Instead of crying, you held back your emotions, closed the window, and went back to sleep.