Chapter 33

After Damon's unexpected death, the supernatural community in Mystic Falls was shocked and rather scared. A small part of Caroline felt rather relieved. After all, he had assaulted her many times and compelled her - forcing her to remember once more when she was turned against her will by Katherine. Bonnie was shell shocked by the news.

She could hardly believe it. But she knew deep down that it was going to come. After all, Damon had caused a lot of trouble, specifically picking fights with Elijah and Klaus. It was only a matter of time.

Matt on the other hand was happy. Damon had killed his sister in order to protect Elena and now he was gone. He hoped that Stefan would feel the same amount of pain that he did when he lost a sibling. Elena was heartbroken. She didn't think that Elijah of all people would kill Damon. But when Elijah told her what had happened, she deep down understood.

If anyone hurt the Mikaelson family, they wouldn't live. She was thankful that Elijah hadn't killed Stefan too. Losing one brother was hard enough. But at least he hadn't threatened to burn all of their family like Damon had done.

Alaric, despite himself, mourned Damon. Even though he was an arrogant young vampire who often got himself into trouble, he was considering Damon to be a friend. Stefan was still in denial but he had to get over himself. He just didn't think that it would be so soon. He sat depressed in the Boarding House that he once shared with his brother. It seemed impossibly bigger and empty without him.

It was painfully silent, he didn't know what to do. All he could do was to drown his sorrow in Damon's expensive bourbon. If he went for revenge, he would surely be killed and he couldn't risk anyone else getting into trouble - everyone had lost someone.

"I actually can't believe that he's gone," Caroline whispered as she looked down at the floor. She wouldn't admit it, but she was going to miss Damon's snarky and sarcastic attitude. Without it, everything was so quiet.

"Well, he's gone and there's nothing that we can do about it!" Stefan snapped, his harsh tone making her flinch. Elena was scared at his changed attitude. With his brother gone, his humanity was in tatters. She knew that he would never be the same again.

"He said that nobody hurts his family and lives," Stefan growled, throwing the alcohol into the fire, making it roar. "Fuck you, Elijah!" he screamed in rage. Matt watched from the sidelines. "Well, we can't go after them otherwise more people will get hurt," he said in a quiet tone of voice. Stefan turned to look at him with a murderous look in his eyes.

"Why are you even here?" he murmured, his eyes narrowed. Matt smirked. He now had the upper hand against him. He just shrugged. "I'm here to offer my condolences," he said. He didn't particularly care anymore. All the supernatural did was brought him trouble and pain and he was forced to clean up the mess.

"After all, nobody offered their condolences when my sister died," his smirk widened, his blue eyes shining. "And now her killer is dead. How poetic is that?" he laughed, throwing his head back. "I would say that I felt sorry for you, but I don't. Your brother was a jerk" he spat, venom lacing his tone, everyone looking at him shocked.

Stefan growled and lunged for him, knocking him back down onto the floor. He sank his hand into his chest. "Now, tell me why I shouldn't you kill you right now?" Caroline rushed towards him but Stefan threw the baby vampire back, making her yell out in pain, Elena immediately rushing towards her.

"Your mother and sister are dead, and you're pathetic excuse of a father is God knows where, " he spat. Elena shook her head rapidly, tears running down her face. "S-stefan, please don't," she begged. She didn't dare to intervene, she didn't want to be hurt. Even though Stefan claimed that he cared about her, something deep down inside of her didn't believe him one bit.