Chapter 39

A loud crash resounded from upstairs and Finn rushed out from one of the rooms upstairs looking like a madman. He wildly looked around as if he was searching for something and instead of running down the stairs in order to retain some kind of normalcy, he slid down the banister. Yes. He slid down the banister. He then ran forward and grabbed Elijah. Jeremy instantly broke away from Tyler and ran over towards his brothers. "What's going on?!" he hissed. Jeremy looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Yeah, what's going on? What on earth happened?" he asked in a more urgent tone of voice, his eyes wide with panic, confusion swirling in his warm chocolate orbs.

Finn put his on Elijah's shoulder and squeezed it hard. "It's mother, she's plotting to kill you all," he rasped out, his voice full of stress. Jeremy gasped. "I knew that she was up to something," he growled. Elijah's eyes darkened, his usually warm oak colored eyes cold. "She lied right to my face," he murmured, his face serious, his tone void of any emotion. Elijah was eerily calm and that made Jeremy nervous. "Who lied to you, 'Lijah?" he demanded, trying to catch Elijah's gaze. The rest of the Originals had filed into the corner of the foyer where Jeremy and Finn were standing huddled together.

The guests were murmuring amongst themselves about what could have happened and that made him even more nervous. He too was wondering about what was going on. Klaus had a face of thunder. But Elijah spoke before he could say anything. "Elena lied right to my face. I asked her what was going on and she said nothing. Although I knew that she was lying to me, I thought that she would admit it.." Jeremy's blood ran cold and a growl left his lips. Elena had betrayed him yet again.

And this time he wasn't going to forgive her. At this point, Elena was good enough dead towards him. She had crossed not only him but his family multiple times and he begrudgingly forgave her because she was his family. His only sister. But this was too far. She had played an active role in their deaths and he wasn't going to let her get away with it.

Elijah had trailed off with a look in his eyes, clenching his fists as he did so, his jaw clenched as he looked off towards the side, attempting to keep himself in check. He couldn't believe that he had failed in the trap of the Petrova allure once again. He really did think that he was cursed to love doppelgangers forever, considering his track record.

Finn nodded rapidly. "She is going to come down soon and ask the guests to join her in a toast. Don't drink the champagne. She's planning on linking us all and she's attempting to use me as the sacrificial lamb to complete it," he explained to his siblings, his eyes flickering to each of his siblings as he spoke, wanting and needing then to understand what he was saying. "So we just backwash the champagne then?" Kol asked at last. All eyes turned to him. He was feeling hurt deep down by the fact that their own mother was plotting behind their backs to kill them all, and throwing a lavish ball in order to cover up what she was really trying to do. So as usual, he decided to hide his pain behind silly little comments. Kol was very good at hiding his emotions and true thoughts behind the playful attitude that he possessed.

Rebekah jabbed his foot with the edge of her high heels. "Really, Kol?" she deadpanned. "This is a serious situation, please think rationally," she rolled her eyes. "But our brother is right, we need to trick her somehow" she hummed to herself as she began to think on the spot. She too was devastated by the fact that their own mother who had raised, clothed and fed was turning against them all by killing them at once covering her nasty plot behind the pretense that she wanted to be a family again. She felt so stupid for believing but she had seemed incredibly convincing. She might as well have compelled all of them to do her bidding. "Compel the caterers to give us separate glasses of champagne" Klaus spoke up. Jeremy wondered when he was going to jump in. He had been uncharacteristically quiet.

Elijah nodded. "I'll go and do that now.." his voice trailed off once again when he saw Esther appear from the top of the stairs looking like a dictator. She had a big smile on her face like she didn't care about what she was doing. They were too late, but something had to be done immediately. "Run," Klaus snapped and they all ran. They ran back into the main room where their mother was and her head snapped towards them, her eyes glinting dangerously. Jeremy tried not to squirm underneath her gaze. A feeling of nervousness was starting to choke him and he could hardly breathe. Elijah had sped off in the direction of the kitchen and came out a few moments later. Klaus managed to catch his gaze and his brother kept his stoic, blank mask on his features and he nodded curtly towards him, signaling that the deed was done and Klaus looked relieved at that fact. Everyone was so tense, you could cut the tension filling the room with a knife. Jeremy prayed that he wouldn't vomit all over the marble flooring.