10

Landon Orion 

In the forest, Shay smiled down at me from the sycamore tree he sat in—all goofy and fresh faced. 

He helped me up and we sat in the rushing quiet of the woods, staring at the strip the city we lived in was comprised of. A place that meant nothing to me. Our neighbourhood a silhouette against the cerulean sky. 

I rubbed my thighs. 

Shay stared at me, grey eyes wild and sparkling in the pallid afternoon glow. "Are you cold?" 

I shook my head no, hiding my hands beneath my thighs. My chapped skin burning against the splintered bark of the sycamore tree. 

He bumped his shoulder against mine, a wobbly smile on his pouty lips. "Are you okay then?" 

I shrugged, picking at the tree bark. "Are you actually asking anything when you say that?" 

"I guess not," he answered, laughing. 

I swayed my legs. Then Shay began swaying his legs. We laughed at how stupid we were being and if we weren't careful we'd plummet to the forest floor. 

"Why did you want to see me?" I asked him then. 

"I heard you were filming a documentary," he said. "And I was wondering if I could be your lead." 

"Lead?" 

"Well, you're going to need someone to portray the Oscar Wilde. Aren't you?" 

"Sure," I tucked my hair behind my ears. "I guess." 

"You don't even have a script. Do you?" 

I flushed. 

Shay and I were on the egde of the forest, standing in my backyard. He shoved his hands into the pockets of his lightwash jeans. "I'll see when I see you." 

The path of least resistance—that's what I thought about, standing beneath the shower head that night. 

About how it was easier to allow Shay, someone I didn't associate with Delview High and Grace Pattin, into my life. I was afraid that if I allowed Billie anywhere near me, she'd engulf me—the same way Grace had.