C h a p t e r O n e

I hadn't ever intended to work at a coffee shop

I hadn't ever intended to work at a coffee shop. Not what I envisioned when I was 14, so many years ago but at the same time hard to believe it wasn't yesterday.

I had instead intended to breathe in the fresh smell of a bookstore, go to the children's section (the only place with good seats) sit down and be filled with pride of seeing my very own book on display, knowing that the pages of it were one of many that filled the shelves lining the wall. I imagined young and old audiences alike worldwide picking it up and combing through each dedicated page. Maybe it would be on the poster in the front windows. Maybe, when I walked past it, I could look up and smile while I sipped my ice tea. Maybe I could meet the love of my life sitting next to me, bonding over books.

But for that to happen, I have to finish my book. And make it successful. Both of which haven't really been going my way.

"Mister... Y/n is it? Thank you for what you do," the unfamiliar voice saying my name had brought me out of my thought. The abnormally tall man in front of me gestured at the name tag I hadn't realized I had when I looked at him in shock. My eyes widened once I got what he meant.

"OH! Oh, y-yeah of course, it's my pleasure." I offered the man a smile, "Have a good rest of your day sir! Um, hope you enjoy your pastry-"

He returned the action and nodded, turning around with his cup and a small bag which I knew held a chocolate croissant. "You too young man."

The moment he left the double doors that adorned the entrance of one of the many coffee places in LA, I slumped on my shoulder. He was nice, but he was just another customer. In this shitty job I didn't want. Little things like that brightened my day, but they didn't last long. It was nearing the end of my hour anyway, so might as well finish the day with a positive note.

Another customer entered the door and it seemed to be a family. The mother got in line and the father cut to the front asking me where the bathrooms were. After I pointed to where the rooms were located, the poor younger children sprinted to the door. The older girl of the three kids had eyebags, indicating they were most likely coming back from a road trip. When the family finally reached the front I took their name and order as I usually did. I jogged over to my coworker (who also happened to be my best friend) Clement and told him the orders, we both got to work. In a matter of a few minutes, we finished the request and called the name while setting the items on the counter. Within those few minutes, I noticed that the family had sat down instead.

The man who had thanked me earlier filled me with a bit of gratuity so I decided to hand-deliver the package to them. Carefully maneuvering around the counter, I walked to the long table they were seated at. I most certainly didn't regret doing so when I received happy smiles from the five of them. Perhaps I was caught up on that, because when I went to walk back, I tripped over a guy with a laptop who had just walked into the door.

Having already been a clumsy person, I had enough practice catching myself when I fell so I didn't smash my face on the floor. The person I had run into, however, wasn't as lucky. My reflexes came in clutch and I managed to salvage his computer and himself as I grabbed the man's arm, saving him from that outcome that I had fallen victim to so many times in the past. He steadied himself and before he could say anything, I quickly apologized. "Ah, sorry man, I didn't mean to run into you, are you alright?"