11

"Thank you for walking with me, I had a lovely afternoon."

"Likewise. And don't thank me for walking with you. It was my pleasure," Alex says leaning against my door frame.

"Unfortunate you can't stay for dinner tho," I admit, looking down at the ground as I'm standing in front of Alex in the doorway.

"Yeah, I know. If I could change my plans, I would straight away."

"I know, it's okay. I understand."

"Well, have a good evening, Tommy."

"You too, Alex."

He pushes himself off from the door frame. I thought he would start walking away. But instead, he looks around to see if anyone is out on the street, brings his head closer to mine, and places a tiny kiss on my cheek.

I immediately widen my eyes and start blushing with that spot in my cheek still tingling from the touch.

"Was it okay for me to do that?"

"Y-yes."

A small smile appears on his face, his adorable dimple coming along with that smile. And I return it with an even bigger smile.

"Well, see you later then," Alex says, starting to walk away backwards along the sidewalk.

"See ya!" I say a little louder since Alex already is a bit further away.

He puts his arm up to wave and then turns around, picking up his normal walking speed. I keep looking at him until he turns the corner. With the big smile still on my face.

I close the door behind me and place my back against the door. I let out a big breath. I can't believe what just happened. I walk into the kitchen after taking off my shoes in the hallway.

I take some ingredients out of the refrigerator and cupboards to start making dinner.

After dinner, I make myself some tea and take a seat on the couch. But not before I carefully place the cup of tea on the table in front of me, trying not to burn my fingers.

I pick the cup back up from the table and start taking small sips from it. I look out of the window and see the sunset at the horizon creating different shades of yellow, orange, red, and even some pink. A beautiful sight for a painting, a painting painted with water paint to perfectly blend those bright colors.

I think about what I could still do this evening. I could write about today in my journal and then go to bed early because I have morning classes to teach tomorrow.

...

... After he gave me that yellow flower, he sat back down next to me. And turns his head to the sun and swings his arm behind me like before. With his face covered in a yellow glow, he reminded me of a sunflower. That kind of sunflower you see in a field surrounded by endless other sunflowers. But this sunflower sticks out, stands taller than all the others, catches your eyes. That sunflower makes you stop and stare, makes you admire its beauty.

I was deep in my thoughts and I don't even know where they came from. Is that really how I think of him? I realized I was still staring at him when he spoke again.

"I didn't see you after we got off that train."

He caught me off guard with what he said. I was surprised he brought up that moment, those memories.

"Oh yeah, I euhm-"

I didn't know what to say to him. I wasn't going to tell him I left because I felt like I wasn't important enough. I was ready to lie, again, but Alex spoke before I could finish my sentence.