Chapter 30

We hit 5k?! What the hell, y'all are amazing! - Daytra

👻

The Annual Giovanni Masquerade Ball.

A grand event for the rich, elite, upper class society. Celebrities, lawyers, entrepreneurs, top-notch doctors, professors, and most importantly, other mafias.

It's the event of the year.

And one that I usually choose to sit out on, but this year is different because I'm actually going to attend the ball. Not to drink fancy wine out of a gold-plated cup or to eat caviar that costs more than my car, but to obtain information on that godforsaken disc and finally put an end to this absolute nightmare.

I stood in front of my full-length mirror, staring at the old, short maroon halter dress that'd been tucked away in the back of my closet for the past decade. It was a bit snug now, seeing as the last time I wore it was to my first high school dance during freshman year. But it was one of the few dresses I owned. The others were dark, depressing dresses; the type of dresses you wear to funerals. I decided that they probably weren't fit for a masquerade ball.

I groaned and stalked over to my bed, plopping down on it, "Fuck. I really need a fairy godmother to pop up and make me a dress for this stupid ball." I mumbled to myself.

Just then, there was a knock at my door.

What the fuck?

My head snapped towards the door, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion, "Wait a minute..." I trailed off, stroking my chin. I had to remind myself that this was real life and fairy godmothers didn't really exist, but I had to admit, the timing of whoever was at my door was impeccable. "Come in!" I shouted.

My door slowly creaked open and Harley popped her head in, a tight-lipped smile on her face, "Hey, Vi. Are you getting ready? We only have," Harley paused and glanced down at her watch. "Seven more hours before the ball starts."

I scrunched my nose, "I'm trying to find something to wear," I mumbled, sitting up. I patted the spot beside me and Harley walked over and took a seat. "My dresses are a little outdated, though."

Harley's eyes looked me up and down before she broke out into a fit of laughter. I glared at her, flipping her the bird.

"What the hell do you have on? That looks like a dress you'd wear to your 9th grade formal." She snickered.

"No, I literally wore this to my 9th grade formal." I remarked, causing Harley to laugh even harder. After a while, I was laughing too.

She wiped an imaginary tear from her eye, "Wow, I needed that," She chuckled. "God, when was the last time we laughed until our sides hurt?"

It's been a while.

I stared down at my hands, trying not to think about it. Harley rested her head on my shoulder and exhaled, "I don't ever want to fight like that again," She whispered. "I thought I lost you for good."

For good? No matter how mad I get at Harley, she's my family; my sister. I'd never abandon her. Not now, not ever.

"I said some things I'm not proud of and I'm sorry. I never want you to think I'd leave you, okay? We're stuck together. Forever."

Harley held up her pinky and I linked it with mine, "Forever." She repeated, pecking my cheek.

We stayed there like that for a few minutes until Harley finally sprung to her feet and twirled in front of me, "Ah, we're going to a ball! I'm so excited to get you all dressed up and fancy!"