Chapter 31

Farren caught up to her brother just a Gimli spoke from their left. Aragorn spun to him in surprise, still unaware of Farren's presence, "Not this time. This time you must stay Gimli".

Legolas slipped his hand into hers as the two of them approached with Legolas' horse. "Have you learnt nothing of the stubbornness of dwarves?"

"You might as well accept it," Gimli chimed in.

"We are going with you, Ari." Farren smiled at him, she caught sight of a familiar sword sheath at his waist and her smile widened. Aragorn smiled, reaching out his hand which Farren happily took allowing her to swing onto Arod.

Whispers followed them as they trotted through the camp and into the haunted mountain pass, Farren's hands brushed Aragorn's subtly as he tensed at their murmurs. The cool darkness pressed in against them, Farren pulled her cloak together around her, no moonlight reached the floor of the mountain pass.

Time was endless in this gloom, Farren had no idea how long it took for them to reach a valley pass, dawns murky light now lit their way. "What kind of army dwells in such a cursed place?" Gimli asked gruffly.

"One that is cursed," Legolas answered, Farren could feel his gaze on her and Aragorn. Her fingers slipped to the sword that Aragorn had on his waist, the pommel was smooth but seemed to hum with a sentient heat. This was their destiny, but this sword was Aragorn's, not hers. She could feel it in her very bones, the sword would bow to her, but it would carve out a new age of man in Aragorn's hands.

"Long ago the men of the mountains swore an oath. To the last king of Gondor, to come to his aid and fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them. Never to rest until they had fulfilled their debt." Legolas' voice was quiet, but it seemed to echo around the valley of sharp rocks. Neither of Isildur's heirs had spoken since they had left the camp, their friends had let them have their silence. Legolas at least knew what this journey meant, knew what the siblings were committing to.

They finally reached a runed doorway, "The very warmth from my blood seems stolen away." Gimli muttered. Farren silently agreed with her dwarf friend. Even Conrad's usually bushy tail wasn't keeping her neck warm as he curled on her shoulder. They dismounted looking up at the dark mountain.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead" the elf did not seem scared, rather curious and intent. "And the dead keep it. The way is shut".

A sudden howling groan swept towards them on a powerful gust of wind, deep from within the mountain. The horses reared and only Farren's yelled command stopped them from trampling the four of them. But she had no time to react and call them back as the two of them bolted back the way they came. Conrad squealed, scampering down into his pouch and curling into a tight ball.

Aragorn turned towards the doorway, "I do not fear death." he stated firmly before striding into the darkness. Gimli and Legolas looked briefly at Farren who dipped her chin to them before plunging into the darkness herself, soon catching up with Aragorn. The darkness was so complete that Farren could only feel the path, she could not even see her hand in front of her face.

Aragorn managed to lite a torch, handing a second to Legolas as the four of them half-ran through the mountain. Farren remained at his side, there was no wildlife for her to influence nor was this particular part of their density her own, but she would remain beside Aragorn. Aragorn was Gondor's king, and she would stay with him, even against the dead themselves.

Aragorn had his sword drawn as they exited into a huge cavern, the only light from their torch and a sliver of light on some stone steps ahead of them that towered up into what looked like a castle's tower.

"Who enters my domain?" A harsh voice growled through the air, Aragorn turned, and Legolas stepped smoothly in front of Farren, dropping the second torch to reach halfway to his quiver. A ghostly figure appeared before them, a long beard, large pale eyes and a faded iron crown.

"One who would have your allegiance," Aragorn replied.

"The dead do not suffer the living to pass,"

"You will suffer me and my brother," Farren said firmly stepping beside Legolas meeting the pale gaze of the dead king. The king laughed, his voice magnified and echoing as a city of the dead materialised in the space around them, ghostly figures appeared, completely surrounding them. Farren drew her sword from across her back, pressing her now free back to Legolas' as the elf nocked an arrow to his bow.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead and the dead keep it," the king echoed Legolas' earlier words. "The way is shut, now you must die." Legolas' arrow went straight through the king's head as he approached. 

"I tried that before, didn't like it too much. I like being alive." Farren muttered, opening her mouth to speak but instead she released a tiny gasp as Aragorn stepped forward.

"I summon you to fulfil your oath."

"No but the king of Gondor may command me," the king stepped angrily forward towards Aragorn, but he only raised his sword. Farren's light hand closed on Gimli's shoulder to keep him in place, her right held her sword but she nudged Legolas slightly behind her. She was the Queen of Gondor, and she would not let them harm her friends.

The king struck with an angry slash, but Aragorn met him and the two blades collided, the ghostly one not passing through as it had with Legolas' arrow. "That line was broken," the king snarled.

Aragorn grabbed the king as if he was solid forcing him back spitting "And it has been remade." Now Farren stepped up beside her brother, the two of them stood side by side. The last heirs of Isildur. "Fight for us," she said calmly.

"And regain your honour." Aragorn looked into the eyes of some of the dead, skeletal soldiers, "What say you?" silence greeted his question. Farren pushed Gimli and Legolas behind her as the ghosts backed away from her.

"I am Isildur heir. Fight for me and I will hold your oaths fulfilled. What say you?" Aragorn yelled into the darkness.

The king looked at Aragorn and then to Farren, his eyes seemed to narrow before he bowed his head, dropping to his knees. Like a wave on the ocean ranks, upon ranks of soldiers fell to their knees before them.

"We will fight for the Heirs of Isildur."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N I'm back! It's been a couple of weeks. Thank you so much for all the support on the last chapter, it really warmed my heart to see your reactions. This is quite a short chapter so I'm going to publish the next chapter on Sunday!

Thank you also for all the support on this book, we're over 15k reads! For me this journey has been really nice seeing my progress from my first Legolas fanfiction to this one, so thank you for inspiring me to keep writing this story!

Wren~