| 9 |

Flashback: Catherine Ariendra 13 Years Old •

  THERE was no longer any excitement on the train ride home for Christmas. Catherine simply stared out the window in dread. She didn't even have the appetite to eat any snacks, much to Mrs. Merry's horror when she refused to buy anything from the trolley. She was all alone in the compartment, wrapping herself in a blanket. Gabby had left to use the loo and she was taking quite some time. Catherine was willing to bet 10 galleons she was now stalking over at the Gryffindor compartments.

  It's not that she didn't want to go home, she misses her mother terribly. She detested the gloomy atmosphere. It was like someone covered the house with a black cloak of depression and she was stuck underneath with her mother. At least at Hogwarts she felt safe, like it was her job to become a good student and a diligent child. At home, she needed to be an adult most of the time. It pierced her endlessly every time her mother found something that reminded them of her father and she would cry. His part of the bed remained untouched, his clothes still in the cabinets, his paperwork still in the first floor study room. Nothing changed, yet everything did.

  Her mother was barely at home during the night, since she has to work. She won't tell Catherine where she was working, only telling her that she was now working very hard to get some money and that she was taking the night shifts. She would always come home looking worn out, with her dress in disarray. Catherine appealed for a scholarship that semester, hoping to ease some of her mother's burden which Professor Sprout happily accepted if she maintained top marks in all of her classes. So Catherine worked hard. There was no time for quidditch, or extra clubs. The only thing she spared time for was Buckbeak and she was devastated when she heard about his pending execution thanks to Draco Malfoy. She would choose to spend time with Buckbeak and his herd, or sometimes take a flight if Hagrid allows, rather than being back in the common room surrounded by people.

  "We're arriving soon." Gabby opened the compartment, sitting down to her right and handing her a chocolate frog. "Get ready."

  "How's Flick?" She asked her.

  "I don't know what you're talking about." She slouched, avoiding her gaze opening her own chocolate frog.

  Catherine gave her a small grin and looked back out the window. She rested her head on Gabby's shoulders and Gabby rested her head on Catherine's. Both enjoying their chocolate frogs in peace.

  "Do you need a ride home? Or is Maria picking you up?"

  Frankly Catherine didn't know. Half of her wishes was that her mother would be there at the station, ready to give her a massive hug. But the other half knows that possibility was so slim.

  "Let's see." She simply replied. Gabby knew that she didn't want to talk about it, so she kept quiet.

  The train skidded to a stop and students began flooding the train hallway. Catherine and Gabby waited in line to exit the train. Suddenly Catherine heard an obnoxious voice that can only belong to one annoying Slytherin.

  "Be careful Draco!" Pansy Parkinson shouted, stepping over taking Malfoy's bag in his hand. "You need to rest your arm."

  Draco simply kept quiet letting Parkinson practically carry all his belongings. Catherine and Gabby shared a look, knowing they were both thinking the same thing. Catherine didn't pay him any more attention until she heard him speak.

  "Does it still hurt terribly Draco?" Parkinson asked him in a sultry voice.

  "Totally." Draco scoffed. "I really hope that stupid chicken get what it deserves."