Opposites {Steve x Reader} (Part 2)

Third Person P.O.V.

A few pebbles hit Steve's window that night. He already knew it was (Y/n). He panicked internally, wondering if it was too late to back out. His head said no, but his body was committed to leaving. He was throwing up the window in one quick motion. "Hey there, Preppy. Let's get going." (Y/n) called up, a wide smile on her face. She wasn't going to admit it to Steve, but she was excited to have someone with her. "How do I get down?" Steve called back, being on the second floor. (Y/n) pointed at the drain pipe. "How old is that? Should be strong enough." Steve looked over the pipe that was not yet rusting, debating the safety of it. But then he decided he would only live once, and he might as well try.

It turned out to not be a smooth climb, but Steve got down with nothing more then a scraped knee and a pounding heart. "Nice, I thought you were going to fall. Anyways, let's go." (Y/n) turned without a response, leaving Steve to stumble after her. "Go where?"

"My motorcycle." (Y/n) smirked. "I parked it a few blocks away so it wouldn't make so much noise by your house." She looked at his nervous face and laughed. "Relax, I brought you a helmet, scaredy cat." They soon got to the motorcycle, and (Y/n) threw the helmet at Steve, who nearly dropped it. He secured it on his head while (Y/n) say in the drivers seat. "Hop on the back, hold on tight, all that stuff." Steve did as she said while asking, "Where are we going now?"

"My first stop of the night. A small neighborhood downtown." She revved the motorcycle, which startled Steve, and drove off quickly in the direction of her desired location. The ride exhilarated Steve. He'd ridden a bike before, but mostly only ridden in a car. He enjoyed the way the streets looked at night, and the wind whipping his face. He liked how natural it seemed to be for (Y/n), and wondered if it could be the same for him. It wasn't long before (Y/n) stopped on a street corner. She set the kickstand, and dismounted while readjusting her backpack strap. "First activity. A little street art."

"You mean graffiti!" Steve eyes bulged in surprise, which made (Y/n) smirk. "Are you going to let me be right about you?" Wordlessly, Steve got up, ripped the helmet off, and walked past (Y/n) down the street. But then he walked back to her. "I don't know where we're going." She laughed, which subconsciously made Steve laugh a little too. "I like you, Preppy. Follow me." Her comment made Steve's heart flutter just a bit, and he followed her like a lost puppy. She took him to the side of a nearby building. Painted there was an American flag with the silhouette of a person in the middle with a question mark inside. "Did you make this?" She nodded, suddenly looking solemn.

"Yeah. I'm kind of sick of America, you know? Everyone wants to act like we're the best country ever, but never looks at the issues we have. I mean, issues lie every where, but what does being an American even mean anymore? Are we freedom and liberty or are we hate and corruption? I want people to look at this, and feel that. We need a better symbol for what America is, what patriotism should mean. We need something to show us to have hope of a better future." She said it so seriously, it shocked Steve. He'd never seen her speak with such importance.  "A symbol, huh? You know what I think? I think we already do hope for a better future, us kids at least. And we're going to be our own symbol, stop the corruption. We don't like bullies, so we're going to stop them."

(Y/n) smiled softly, a genuine smile. "I like that idea, Steve. Now," she handed him a can of white paint, "go up and touch up the stars on the side of this police station." Steve dropped the can in shock. "This is a police station!?" (Y/n) started laughing. "I-I'm sorry, I was just joking! You're face is priceless! This place hasn't been used in years, it's fine." Steve hesitated, but did in fact touch up the stars. He didn't need to know that it wasn't a joke. They went back to the motorcycle, and (Y/n) took them to their next stop. It was a skatepark, lit by a few street lights. It was almost eerie to Steve, being empty and all, but (Y/n) seemed perfectly calm.

"I get the feeling you've never been skateboarding." (Y/n) suddenly said, grabbing a room forgotten board from the ground. "Too dangerous, ruining my clothes, I heard all the excuses." Steve responded. For once, he managed to catch her off guard. "So you've actually wanted to learn then?" He shrugged. "It was something normal kids did. I never got to be that though. My parents didn't want to ruin their image." The tad of resentment in his voice caused (Y/n) to realize he wasn't just some snooty rich kid. Maybe more like herself then she thought. "Well, I'm here to teach you. Fair warning, I'm not good at instructing. You may get scraped up, think you can handle it?"

Steve smirked slightly. "I think you already know I am." She laughed, handing him the board. "Alright, hot shot. First and foremost, try and stand on the board." They spent a solid two hours there, filled with laughter, bruises, scrapes, teasing. In this time they weren't what everyone saw them as, they weren't opposites. They looked like long time friends, and some part of them felt like it. It was well after midnight once they stopped, speaking between laughs. "I'm never trusting you again!"

"You were fine, you big baby!"

"You pushed me off the side, I feared for my life!"

"Don't be so dramatic!" She rolled her eyes, flashing a mischievous smile. They made a couple more quick stops in the night. A cheap 24/7 diner, then (Y/n) showed him around a small bout of building with easy access for climbing. She showed him to her favorite spot, a ledge off an apartment building with an over hang, high up enough to see over the city and a vast amount of the stars. The sat next to each other, breathing a little heavier from running and jumping their way up.

"So what's this place?" Steve asked her. "I just like it. I can see a few of my street works, stars, do people watching. I gather inspiration, see good and bad things, help where I can. Plus, it's quiet. I can think." Steve was learning a lot about her in one night, jus through the places they've been. She'd been misjudged. She wasn't an angry rebel teen, she just wanted justice. It wasn't that she didn't care about anything, she just cared too much about everything. "When you're not at school, are you here?" He asked. She nodded, her eyes scouring the dark sky. Steve couldn't help but notice the way the moonlight made her eyes sparkle. "Mostly. Sometimes I just walk the streets, sometimes I dealing with shit at home, sometimes I'm working. But this is my safe zone."

"Then why bring me of all people here?" Steve wondered aloud. "To be honest, I don't know. This is supposed to be my place, but I just felt like you should see it. I've never shown this place to anyone, not my friends, not my family, only you." She couldn't explain her reasoning. Hell, it wasn't even on her originally plan, it just happened. "Then thank you. I promise to honor it." She smiled softly. "Thanks Stevie." He deadpanned. "Another nickname? Really?" She chuckled. "Gotta keep you on your toes."

"Should I do the same thing? I have to make sure you stay limber?" She laughed. "Limber? What are you, 100 years old? Besides, I doubt you can really catch me off guard." An idea popped into his head, making his lips curl into a smile. He wouldn't normally be so bold, but she has taught him to be tonight. "Are you sure?" He asked. "Oh, I'm su-" He cut her off by pressing his lips to hers. She was shocked, but after a few seconds, closed her eyes and melted into the kiss. Who knew the opposites could be so right for each other? Certainly not (Y/n), who if you told her of this enhance 24 hours ago, would have laughed in your face. "Does this make this a first date?" She asked once they broke, making Steve turn pink yet again.