Chapter 26 | A Monster

Dylan's POV:

"Yeah, your car is gone," I mumbled as I entered Clara's house, shaking my head at Patrick, yanking my phone out of my pocket and dialling Clara's number again, growling when I was sent straight to voicemail.

"This isn't right," muttered Patrick, his mouth set into a scowl.

"I've called my Beta Ethan and he's going to come over with his car. We can go and look for them," I said, sighing, running my hands through my dark hair.

"Why would she go and look for Jared all alone?" asked Patrick, running his hands down his face.

"She wouldn't have left alone without telling anyone unless something was wrong, so I have a feeling she knows where Jared is, and didn't want anyone else to come with her," I replied, shaking my head, chewing on my bottom lip.

"I can't lose them too," sighed Patrick, pulling on his jacket, dropping his head.

"Hey," I said, grabbing Patrick's shoulders, shaking them slightly until he looked up at me. "We will find them. I won't stop until we do."

"I can see how much you care for my daughter, Alpha Dylan, and I'm more than relieved she has been paired with someone like you."

I nodded, releasing Patrick's shoulders, running my tongue along the outside of my front teeth. "Ethan should almost be here, let's go."

I turned, making my way out of the door, stepping out into the wind, watching as the sun began to disappear behind the clouds, the leftover blinding orange and pink lights it created leaving glistening rays dancing across my skin.

I ensured Patrick was closely behind me before making my way down towards the lake, walking as quickly as I could towards the pack gate, nodding at my Beta Ethan as I approached his large black Jeep, causing him to hop out, his face masked with concern.

"I left as soon as you hung up, how are we going to find her?" asked Ethan, folding his arms across his chest, his thick brows furrowing.

"She didn't leave that long ago, so we might still be able to follow her scent depending on how far away she is, but we have to hurry," I replied, hopping in behind the steering wheel, gesturing for Patrick to hurry up, watching him clamber into the back seat.

"What about her brother?" questioned Ethan, pulling open the passenger side door and getting in, shutting it behind him quickly.

"I'm guessing they'll be together," I replied, starting up the Jeep and pulling out onto the road, honking at a car that was going much too slowly for my liking, swerving around it effortlessly.

I rolled down my window, attempting to catch Clara's scent, but the strong wind was making it much harder to focus on just one smell; multiple aromas wafting up my nostrils at once, causing me to growl.

"This town isn't too big, why don't we just check out everywhere and see if we can find my car?" suggested Patrick from the back seat, causing Ethan and I to look at each other, our mouths set in firm lines.

"My worry is, Patrick, that I don't think she'll be here anymore. I think we may have missed her." replied Ethan, causing me my hands to tighten on the steering wheel, my knuckles turning white.

My wolf was going crazy inside of me, and it was taking all my restraint to stop myself from shifting and losing all control, ripping everything in my path to shreds until I found my mate.

My hands started to shake at the thought of losing Clara, and I knew there was no way I would be able to continue living if anything happened to her. I refused to go on without her; there would be no reason to live.