The First Step

A/N: Cassandra gives me the vibes of "When He Sees Me" from Waitress, throughout the novel. I think this chapter definitely relates to it. 

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes was brightly lit and crowded today, perfect for Cassandra.

She felt her palms become sweaty the closer she got, she was undeniably nervous. What if he saw her? What should she say? Would he even recognize her? What if he ignores her or turns the other way? 

She quickly shook her head, trying to ignore these nagging thoughts. Bloody hell, it's just a joke shop Cassandra, she scolded herself, trying to pull it together.

With a deep breath, Cassandra pulled the door open and was utterly amazed.

Enchanted objects were flitting around, children running to each and every corner, one nearly knocking her over as she moved inside. Balloons and sparklers adorned the ceiling, and a mock Dolores Umbridge toy was balancing on a wire, making her nerves melt away.

She was laughing at the toy when a boy beside her looked as if he was going to be sick, heaving over and clutching his stomach. Cassandra quickly looked for something to help him, grabbing a cauldron and handing it to him just in time.

She rubbed the boy's back, asking him "Are you alright? Is your mum here?". She almost didn't notice the ladder rolling over their direction and the man that jumped down off of it.

"Well I'm lucky you're here, I was eyeing this one and didn't make it in time!" The deep voice said with enthusiasm.

Cassandra looked up and saw him.

She felt her eyes grow wide as the George Weasley was standing in front of her, a large grin pasted on his face.

He was as handsome as ever, maybe even more so now that he had matured. What was the lanky boy from the party was now a muscular, outrageously tall man. This fiery red hair was cut short and framed his face perfectly, his grin even more alluring.

Her face started to burn as she frantically searched for words. "Um-I... yeah..very lucky," she stuttered, returning a smile. The boy's father came over to him and took him away, but George continued to stand before her.

"I'm George Weasley, Co-Owner. Have you been here before?" His smile was evident through his voice.

"Oh um no, this is my first time," Cassandra tried to state calmly.

"Well welcome! Let me show you around!" his voice booming.

He placed his hand on her back as he led her through the shop, explaining all of their various different pieces of merchandise. Cassandra was having a hard time concentrating, let alone breathing, as his hand was lightly pressing on the small of her back now.

She felt it again, something she hadn't felt in years, something she wasn't sure was real.

The smallest flicker of flame raced through her nerves at his gentle touch. A touch that shouldn't ignite anything, such an innocent one.

He was looking at her now, noticeably waiting for a response, but she hadn't paid enough attention. Now becoming a rambling mess, she thanked him for the tour and told him she had to go, to the best of her ability.

He looked confused, but wished her well and told her to come back as she raced out of the store. She turned the corner and slammed against the cold brick side of the building, finally exhaling.

Cassandra cursed herself for her impulsivity. I shouldn't have come here. I shouldn't have come, the voice in her head repeated, and she knew it was right.

George's smile, his simple touch, had opened a door that Cassandra wasn't strong enough to close. She was numb before, to her old emotions, to her old life. She was desensitized to the feeling of hope, but now it was flooding her, overcoming all the gloom of before.

That damn spark had awoken her, after years of sleepwalking through life.

She knew it was wrong, she knew that such a small touch shouldn't have affected her in any way but for once, she felt something.

And she had to feel it again.

She had to know him.

She had to go back.