Chapter 20: Prestissimo (Part 2 of 2)

(Mood Music:  Ballet from "Orpheus and Eurydice"- Christoph Gluck)

By the time Ladybug had gotten Adrien situated at the school nurse's, the effects of whatever neuromuscular drug he'd been injected with had waned somewhat, and he'd regained most of the feeling and mobility in his limbs. Since he waved off the need to actually lie down in one of the beds, she helped him sink into a small sofa, adjusting the pillows, fussing over him, asking if he needed a blanket or something to drink. All the while, he kept trying to reassure her that he was fine (although his face did look a bit flushed during this exchange, which didn't ease her apprehensions).

As the nurse examined his vitals and gave him a quick check-up, Ladybug's thoughts slowly shifted from doting concern to one of regret and guilt. This was all her fault. She should have listened to Tikki and transformed instead of rushing in headfirst without knowing the full situation.

Her earrings rang out their second beep, reminding her that her time was beginning to run short. She knew she needed to part ways, but a pressing question rooted her to the spot. She couldn't leave just yet. Not until she knew.

Adrien must've sensed her discomfort; as soon as the nurse excused herself to fill out a health report and speak to the police, he touched her arm and asked quietly, "Is everything okay?" He motioned for her to sit next to him, patting the cushion with a friendly gesture.

She complied, trying to appear as calm as possible as she took a seat. "Well, it's about... earlier," she began hesitantly, then lowered her head to whisper, "Do you think this had anything to do with those photos of us from a few months back, when we went to the movies together? Maybe the pictures got leaked after all, and the wrong people got ahold of them. I can't help but feel like that's why you were targeted."

Adrien's eyes popped wide open as he jerked his head up. "Oh, no!! No, it wasn't!" Adrien replied, arms waving in emphatic denial. He tried to calm his voice again as he continued to insist, "Believe me, it's not connected to that at all!"

"What?? B-but how are you sure? You can be honest with me; you don't have to downplay it for my sake," she insisted. "I accept all responsibility for everything that happened that evening. I should've known it was too dangerous and that it would put you at risk. I just want to fix things and make sure what happened today won't ever happen again."

"The timing was just a coincidence, I promise," Adrien assured her, reaching forward and giving her shoulder a squeeze. "This has nothing to do with you... and everything to do with my father," he added darkly.

Ladybug's jaw dropped as a realization dawned on her. "Oh no, your father... he's going to be so upset!! The police have probably already notified him, he must be worried sick!" Ladybug groaned in dismay, her head dropping into her hands, entirely missing the way Adrien's eyes rolled sardonically. "Would it help if I escorted you to your home myself? Just to make absolutely sure that you arrive home safely? It's no trouble, really! I'd just need to go recharge real quick and–"

Adrien looked like he'd just been set on fire. "NO!!!' he cut her off, unable to keep the terror out of his voice. "Please, don't!!"

Ladybug recoiled back like she'd been slapped in the face, utterly bewildered at his response. Adrien's hands began to tremble, and he gripped the fabric of his pants to try to keep them still.

"Uhh, what I meant to say was, 'no thank you, that won't be necessary.' M-my Father is, uhh... very particular. Fastidious, really. Someone will drive me back." He grimaced as if his words tasted bitter, then he exhaled, seeming to compose himself. "I appreciate the offer, it's very kind of you. But there's really no need."