44. HEROISM

GOY
CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR: HEROISM

three steady knocks fell against aurora's bedroom door

three steady knocks fell against aurora's bedroom door. the sniffles coming from the other side stopped instantly with a sharp gasp. the raven haired boy stared at the white painted wood, right hand pressed against the handle. when no reply came from his little girl, he knocked three more times.

"g-go away, scott."

"it's stiles." a sniffle and shuffle came from the other side of the door. "can... can i come in?" once again, no reply came from the other side. stiles sighed, pressing his warm forehead against aurora's door. just as his hand began to fall from the handle it twitched between his fingers. as though it had a mind of its own, the handle pulled downwards, door ever so lightly creaking open.

the handle was working from aurora's movements. at first the only thing that his honey eyes could latch onto was her blonde locks, askew and messy and half wet from tears. then her cheeks, those beautiful cheeks that used to flush red at the sight of him, now blushed and stained with tears. tears that he had caused her. aurora's bottom lip trembled at an alarming rate as she finally made eye contact with him, heart feeling as though it was going to explode.

"oh my god, angel." he instantly reached forwards, heart breaking at the sight. for a split second aurora twitched away from stiles, as though touching him was imminent danger. but the little girl allowed herself to be picked up by her boyfriend and she reluctantly wrapped her arms around his shoulders. his warm hand sprawled across her back comfortingly as he made his way to her bed and sat down.

tears pricked at each corner of aurora's eyes. "h-hi."

he held her closer, shuddering. "hi, sweetheart." a beat. "you okay?"

"i-i don't think s-so."

idiot. of course she wasn't okay.

"i... i'm sorry, angel. for leaving you, for getting caught up in all this, it's just—" his head spun as he caressed her back. "i have to think about the bigger picture, not just us." she shook at his words. "sometimes, i-i have to look after other people. i can't leave all the heroism to scott."

"i-i know." her fingers found their way to his hair, lightly gripping at the raven locks. "i j-just wanna be the f-first thing on your mind. i-i'm sorry." she knew that she shouldn't have been the one apologising. sometimes it was easier to lose the battle.

"i have a lot of responsibilities, angel." her brows furrowed. aurora leaned back, finally facing her boyfriend again. "i can't just look out for you. you know you're always on my mind, baby, but there's some things that have to become before being your daddy."

"o-ouch." was he serious? "so, what? m-me being reliant on y-you is a burden now?"

"i didn't say that—"

"you implied that." she pushed his hands off of her, standing up and away from his lap. "i thought y-you loved taking care of me?"

"daddy does, angel. i'm sorry—"

"no." she shook her head, tears brimming in her eyes once again. his heart broke at both the sight of her tears and the sound of her denial. "i-i just sat h-here and apologised to y-you! for nothing! w-what the balls, stiles?!"

"baby, calm down."

"don't t-tell me to calm down!" she shouted. "you calm down! g-go look after someone e-else, since i'm such a pain! god, you don't even care." her hands gripped themselves tightly at her sides, nails embedding crescent moons into her skin in anger. "go look after c-cora! call her baby!" he reeled back, honey eyes wide.

he obviously hadn't used the right wording. in that moment stiles stilinski hated himself for making aurora so angry. his sweet innocent girl, so affected by his words and his inability to be wrong in a situation. aurora was jealous that he was spending time with cora. the raven haired boy stood up angrily, finger pointed at the little girl. he knew it was going to make things worse, but he couldn't help himself. the words fell from his lips before he could process them.

"you can talk! going after scott the minute i turn my back! you know how he feels about you—"

"scott c-cares about me! he didn't turn his back on me!"

"oh my god, aurora!" she jumped at the sound of her own name. veins appeared on stiles' neck as he screamed at the top of his lungs, arms flailing as he tried to express himself. stiles' nostrils flared as he angrily stared at her. "you're fucking oblivious! he practically stood on the driveway and confessed his love for you! can you believe that, my best friend, in love with my fucking girlfriend!"

"w-well," her mind wracked, trying to process the information. everything that he said at the hotel, the way he had been looking at her, the way he held her today... scott liked aurora. "m-maybe i should g-go find scott then, s-since he's s-so in love with me—"

"fine, go! watch scott get too caught up in being the hero to take care of you!" stiles nudged his way past the small girl, walking towards the door angrily. he gripped onto the handle, the veins in his hands ever so prominent. aurora watched with hurt eyes as he turned around to face her. it was almost as though he couldn't bare to look at her properly. "come back to me when you're done with scott."

and her heart broke with a slam of the door.

aurora sucked in a breath, begging herself not to cry. she had wasted one to many tears over stiles today. he was acting so different — this wasn't the boy that she fell in love with. it was like he had been possessed by something so evil, something that wanted to keep them apart.

but if that was what he wanted, that was what she would do.

the little girl reached for her phone, and with shaking fingers, dialled the fateful number. scott accepted the call within two buzzes, his voice steady and ready to do anything that the little girl needed.

"rory? are you okay?"

"stil— s-scott, i need you. can you come get me?"

two could play at the game that stiles seemed to be playing.

GOY
CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR: HEROISM

I'M SORRY THIS IS SO RUSHED BESTIES I'M TRYING TO GET TO THE GOOD BITS—