Chapter Forty-Five

I froze beneath Damon and he pulled away quickly.
“What, Stefan?!” He all but growled over his shoulder.  My heat was thumping away wildly; I thought it was going to fall out my chest with the speed it was going. And my cheeks were burning.
I couldn’t believe that I had actually gotten the courage to kiss Damon and get caught whilst doing it. 
I shoved at Damon’s chest and slid out from under him. Stepping over the broken glass. My eye found Stefan’s wide ones, flickering between Damon and I.
Stefan hadn’t answered Damon’s question and instead was just staring. No one said A thing, almost like all words had lost us.
The awkwardness that clung to us was almost suffocating. I didn’t know what to say.  I couldn’t even bring myself to look at Damon…But I didn’t regret what had just happened between us, but a part of me is glad that Stefan had interrupted us. I’m not sure I would have stopped Damon from going much further, because I was just as eager as he seemed to have been. 
“What is it, Stefan?” Damon tried again, his voice hard.
Stefan swallowed and shuffled slightly on the spot, his eyes glancing around the room, unsure where to look.
“Bonnie touched Mason and saw Katherine.” Stefan informed.
I stepped forward, completely forgetting what happened a moment ago. “What?”
“We think Mason’s working for Katherine.”
“What was witchy doing near Lockwood anyway?” Damon asked, moving to stand beside me.
I glanced over my shoulder at him and my cheeks started burning again. His shirt was completely un-buttoned and he wasn’t making any move to do it back up. I didn’t even realise I had gotten that many of them undone.
“She didn’t say, just that when she touched him saw Katherine.” Stefan said. I looked back over to him to find his eyes locked onto Damon’s shirt and something flashed across his features.  Although it was too quick to identify.
“We need to do something.” Stefan added.
“Obviously. I’ll just kill him. I’m sure no one would have a problem with that.” Damon said easily, walking around me towards Stefan and the door.
“Actually…” I spoke up.
Damon stopped. “Don’t tell me that you want him alive."
"Well I don't want him dead."
Damon scoffed, finally working on his buttons. "Have you forgotten what he said to you?"
"No," I snapped. "I haven't. In fact i've been finding it hard to think of anything else. But just because someone says some bad shit about you doesn't mean they have to die. Although you don't seem to understand that, everyone who says one wrong thing around you is brutally murdered."
"Maybe you should stop talking then."
"I've said some awful things to you before, Damon, I've also stabbed you in the back with an arrow. If you wanted me dead I would have been a while ago." I said and then a smirk pulled at my lips. "Although something's telling me that you'd much rather to kiss me than kill me."
Damon's lips pulled up into his usual devious smirk and mine fell from my face. I didn't like the look he was giving me. 
"You're right." He said. And then he was right in front of me, his hand cupped my face firmly and quickly pulled me into a kiss. 
Shock was the first thing that i was able to process. and then came the fact that Stefan was still in the room. Watching. But even so, my mind was a puddle as Damon's lips moved with mines. The fact that Stefan was here was slowly leaving my mind as I relaxed against Damon. This was new to me, I wasn't quite sure what to think about this whole situation. I mean this is Damon for fuck sake. And here I am kissing him...for a third time.
A cough seemed to break whatever trance I was under and I quickly broke the kiss. Stepped backwards away from Damon with wide eyes. My mouth opened a couple of times but no words came. I looked over at Stefan who swallowed thickly and looked away.
"I-er- think I should be getting home." I managed to stutter out slightly breathless.
Damon's eyes were boaring holes into me and I purposely kept my eyes from straying over to him. I stepped around him, grabbed my coat off of the back of the couch and walked away from him without ever mumbling a goodbye.
"See ya, Stefan." I muttered as I past, leaving the house and slamming the door louder than I had meant to behind me.
Once I was outside in the fresh air my mind started functioning correctly. Or as well as it could after kissing Damon-freaking-Salvatore. I took a deep breath, willing myself to calm down and telling myself that it was no big deal but my heart was disagreeing entirely. It was hammering away in my chest and my lips were curved upwards, smiling.
My body was function purely on its own as my fingers lifted to brush up against my lips. I could still feel him -his lips, pressed to mine. It was a feeling I doubt I would ever be able to forget. And I didn't want to forget.