Chapter 32: Hospitals suck

C H A P T E R 3 2

H O S P I T A L S S U C K

"Regrets are just lessons we needed to learn"

Song-falling; Harry styles

Marlee

A repetitive beep sounds in my ears. I try to fall back to sleep when I realize I'm not in my bed. Opening my eyes, I'm met with the bright lights of a hospital room. Just as quick as the light flooding into my eyes, the memories flood into my head.

When I adjust to the light, I look around the room. Grayson sits on the small chair next to the bed. His eyes are red and puffy, obviously he's been crying.

Because of me.

"Gray?" My voice is hoarse and grainy but it catches his attention. His eyes shoot up and he smiles, hopping up and hugging me softly.

"You're awake. I was so worried Mar." he whispers while not letting go of the hug. "I love you so much."

My heart aches with regret. The reason I kept it all a secret is so I didn't hurt anyone but I still ended up hurting the people I love most. I bite back the tears the well in my eyes.

"I love you too." I brush a tear off of his cheek. "Hey, don't cry."

"I'm just so happy you're awake." He sniffles, shattering my heart into a million pieces. He sat up and said "I'm going to go get mom and Theo, they went to get some food."

He leaves the room and a few seconds later they all 3 walk in. Mom was a mess. She looked frail and tiny. Mom has never looked so small. She's always been so strong, always been the toughest person I know.

And right then I break down. A sob escapes my lips involuntary. "I'm sorry."

"Oh baby" mom rushes over to me and grabs my hand. She pulls me in for a hug gently. I cry into her shoulder for so long. She runs her fingers through my hair and lets me cry. When I pull apart I see she's crying too.

"I'm so sorry."

"Shhh, you have nothing to be sorry about." She puts her hand on my face, rubbing my cheek. "Everything will be okay."

I nod tearfully and she kisses my head. Theo clears his throat "can I have a minute alone?"

Mom nods her head and leads Grayson out of the room, wrapping an arm around him. Theo gingerly sits on the edge of the bed. I wipe the last of my tears away and look at my twin.