chapter 49 ~ rooftops

mature language
• drug usage
• mentioning of needles
• mentioning of suicide
• suicidal implications
• derealization
• description of blood

song recommendation for this chapter
• je te laisserai des mots by patrick watson
• 1 hour version

Georges pov=

The wind smashes harshly against my face as I try to navigate my way through the busy, overcrowded streets.

Left.

No, no right.

Or is it left?

Im out of breath, my legs sore and aching. The only thing keeping me going is knowing my time is running out.

People are giving me sour looks as I run past them, like they think theyre better then me for being polite enough to walk.

I want to scream at everyone to move, I want to tell them that time is running out and that I need to go.

But that would get me nowhere, so I just keep running.

Tick, tick, tick..

The back of my throat is starting to sting because of my harsh breathing, and every bone in my body is begging me to slow down, to take a break.

Its dark outside, which is making everything a little easier.

I know theres no way in hell id be able to recognize the building if it were daytime.

And then there it is.

Ive nearly let it go amiss, ive nearly let it slip past my notice.

The car park,

The one he'd parked in when we'd drove to New York.

I turn back around, now trying to calm myself down so I can think properly.

How long had we walked for? Did we take any turns? Was there anything that id noticed that can tell me im going the right way?

Im trying to re-live that night, but its useless.

I hadnt been paying attention to whatever buildings we were walking past, id been paying attention to him.

Tick, tick, tick..

I feel numb and empty as I spin around and stare at each building individually, trying to recollect if that could be the one hes about to throw himself off.

My worst fear right now is being too late.

No, my worst fear right now is seeing him sprawled out over the concrete floor, telling me I was too late.

Thats why I need to hurry up, thats why I need to focus.

Two lefts.

One right.

We'd gone past that, we'd definitely gone past that.

My mouth is dry, my adrenaline pumping viciously, filling my numb body with all different sorts of emotions.

It feels like a high ive never reached before.

That high carries me to the one thing I needed to see.

The Diner.

And directly down from the diner?

The roof I need to get to.

I throw myself out into the street, crossing the road infront of what seems to be a million cars. Im suprised I dont get knocked over.

Tick, tick, tick..