4. Birthday

The windows were closed tightly so as the curtain, blocking the light from entering. Y/n was all alone in her room, staring at the closed-window blankly. Growing up with daily hatred and sense of distrust in the family, she learned not to get attached.

She was supposed to be at the Dawn Winery, taking care of the gardens there. Yet, she decided to skip for a day. Her small fame felt weak and burning with fever一adding another reason for her absence.

Not only was she in fever, she was at the edge of the brimming tears that formed without permission.

Knock knock

She heard knockings from the door and some faint voice that chirped, "It's us, Kaeya and Diluc." She was left with no choice but to let them in. The h/c quickly opened the curtain, giving access for sun to light her room. "Come in!" She holored with the dried and raspy voice.

The door was opened, revealing the children that quickly walked in the room一not forgetting to close the door of course. The presence of the small children gave a little light to the blank e/c. Their tiny legs climbed to the bed, watching her as she gazed at the window outside. They held her hands side by side, giving her the best comfort they could give.

"We heard about your family."

Ah yes,

The fight from her parents that never ended. "Are you okay?" Now it's the red's turn to talk. The h/c didn't give any response, still keeping her gaze to the window as the birds flew passed by. "It's fine if you can't work and play today. We can play all we want once you got better!" Kaeya chirpped, trying his obvious attempt.

"Yeah, we'll also help and comfort you when you need us to. You don't have to go on alone," Diluc agreed, also trying his best.

Those words一ah, how long had she not hear them? Those words were what she exactly needed now. "I'm having fever. That's all." Well, it wasn't a total lie for the h/c.

"...Y/n?" Diluc called softly to her. "Yeah?"

"We'll give our best support to you. So let us know if you need anything."

Just like that, her eyes were at the edge of tears. They were shinning, reflecting her own e/c better. "I'm scared..." she sobbed under her breath, giving into her tears. There was nothing else for her to fight back. There was nothing else for her to look up at. Even if she at least tried to...

All of them were all in vain.

The two Ragnvindr wrapped their tiny arms around her small body whilst giving her a small comfort. Albeit they were also fighting back their tears, they held still for the small h/c as she cried on their arms. "What if I failed? What if they decided to divorce? What if I can't accept him as my father?"

All those questions floated in her own head, finally letting it all out for the day. Oh, how she missed the day where she was playing outside with her two friends together while she worked at the garden, helping the servants there.

****

"I wish you well, Y/n."

A sweet voice rang through her ears. She knew whose voice was it, but didn't dare to look back一she still couldn't let go of her mother. "Thank you, Mother," she spoke softly to herself or maybe to the spirit一hallucination she had. Either way, it's enough to convince herself so.

A birthday drinking party was held in a building一no, not her birthday party. But engagement ceremony between the humans she couldn't stand. She really wanted to intervern, but who's she to do so? Even if she were his legal daughter, she couldn't bring herself to destroy the ceremony.