5. Hour Twelve of Knowing

No amount of oxygen masks in the world can help

Not even every single one from an Airbus A380.

Not when Elliot is smiling at me the way he is; especially after saying what he just did: I just wanted to listen to you.

The sounds of the world are drowned out as my heartbeat throbbing in my ears deafens me and my only focus is Elliot's face, his eyes scanning mine.

It takes a lot out of me to say 'where have you been all my life?' only in my head.

Elliot releases the door handle and steps towards me. "Are you alright?"

On cloud nine, thank you, doctor.

"Fine. Great." I swallow.

Giving me a reassuring smile, Elliot nods to the door. "Shall we?"

I nod and he pulls the door open for me. I thank him and walk in.

Tinkling conversation fills my ears and heavenly smells fill my nostrils the moment step in.

Tables covered with plastic and a severe shortage of cutlery have never been characteristics of restaurants that I've frequented, but standing here, I'm excited at the prospect.

"Do you like it?" Elliot's voice comes from somewhere above my right ear and I want to shiver, but I control myself.

"I'm excited," I tell him, not even looking at him because I'm too busy taking in the place.

I can hear him tell the hostess that it's just the two of us.

She begins to lead us to a table and I follow.

The table is in a corner of the restaurant. One side of the square table is against a long leather bench shared by the length of the wall. There is a single chair across from it.

Elliot thanks the waitress.

He motions for me to take the leather bench.

I try not to swoon, as I take a seat. There is something undeniably attractive about a man who will give you the cushioned bench and take the outlying chair.

As we both take our seats, I look above my head and see that I'm sitting directly under an air vent. I decide that I'm not going to bring it up because I'm not even that cold and I really want to sit here.

Elliot looks around the room and I can almost definitely tell that giving me the fun seat isn't the only undeniably attractive thing that he's bound to do.

He points to something on the wall above my head. "Holy Carp is a pretty popular chain of seafood boil restaurants," he tells me as I turn to look at what he's pointing at, "They've only been around for a few years and they're gaining traction only now, but it's becoming really popular. One of their main things is that" – his long, steady index finger points to a shiny, brass fish, complete with a halo and wings, in addition to its wings, that hangs on the wood paneling – "The actual holy carp. You can find a similar one in each of their locations."