The Lesson

Any words with both ""and italics are spoken in french

-----

January 12, 2007

The bliss of vacation ended and life went back to normal. For Jaclyn that meant two days to settle back into the chaos of London before work started on Monday. Which in reality meant Natania and her laid around their apartment like hermits for two days straight.

William left straight for Devon for training, and Jaclyn had to get her mind back in ballet mode. Rehearsals started immediately, and while she didn't have a show until the beginning of February, shows had to be taught months in advance.

"Good lord I'm dead," Natania groaned, sliding down the wall of the hallway where their bags were. Jaclyn groaned in agreement, falling to the ground graceless if only to let her aching knees breathe.

"We're getting done early, what are you on about?" Leo asked teasingly.

"But it's been such a long day." To be fair Nat had a point. Class from 9:30-11:45, queen of Dryads rehearsal from 12-1:30, Juliet rehearsal from 2-3:30, and Swanhilda rehearsal from 4:30-6:30.

"Can't argue with that, Monsieur was... extra enthusiastic today."

"Look with the foot, Natania-" She started to laugh, trying to mimick their choreographers nearly pretentious voice.

"-Leo, I see your lunch." Leo's was not spoken as jokingly as his girlfriends even as he tried to smile. Jaclyn watched from the corner as Natania sprang up trying to question her boyfriend.

As the others trudged around the changing room Jaclyn threw her clothes on; too scared to spare a glance at the clock. At this point it would just solidify her fate.

"Jackie please tell me you're not wearing sweats to meet Lady Mountbatten?" Thomas finally spoke up, and Jaclyn sheepishly shrugged.

"I brought other clothes, but there's no time to change." No way was she going to waste time peeling off the splotchy leotard and sticky tights, and with her hands shaking the way they were who knew if she would be able to.

"You've been wearing that same shirt since the nineties," Thomas scoffed. His hands ran through his damp hazel hair that was starting to get too long even for his sweatbands.

"It was my dad's-"

"-And you just made it worse."

"Leave me alone, last I checked you wore that same sweatband when we were first years in ninety-seven." Jaclyn hefted her dance bag onto her shoulder, waved to Natania and Leo who were still stuck in a silent conversation, and started heading for the door.

She called out, not minding to turn around,"Okay, I'll see you guys "demain."

"Tommorow!" They all corrected her french.

"Right, tomorrow, I'll see you tomorrow."

Pushing through the Opera House doors Convent Garden night life pooled out before her. Layers of people walking, shopping, drinking, and then there was Jaclyn. A shadowed silhouette blended with the darkening sky that moved swiftly between the lingering people.

She was half way to the tube entrance when her phone rang, and even though she answered it her pace never slowed.

"Hey Alice! Nows not really the best-"

"I just need a minute," Alice stopped her, "are you a William available on February tenth and eleventh?"

"I believe so, why?" Jaclyn asked, wheezing as she hurtled over a group of teenagers who were spread across the tunnel stairs. Like no one needed to get anywhere or anything. In full truthfulness though she barely knew what William's schedule was past the week. They hadn't had a single chance to catch up.