Missing You

January 14, 2007

The sky shined brighter than it had in weeks, the sun peeking out shyly from the clouds. Promising to do something grand soon. It was the perfect day to do absolutely nothing, to lounge, to smile, to relax. Glancing over the metal rack at her friends who were comparing skirts she did just that.

"So how did you convince Mike to let you go for a few hours?" Jaclyn piped up toying the leather dress that she held in her hands.

"Oh, it was easy. I just turned rugby on," Zara laughed with a shrug, then turning to their shortest friend, "how'd you do it Nat? "

Nat stuck her nose up, "Please, we spend all day everyday together. Poor Leo couldn't wait to get rid of me." Her smirk lingered as she headed towards a dressing room a complete outfit in hand, and the two blondes returned to their browsing.

Jaclyn held on to the leather, it was fake leather, dress trying to psych herself up to buy it. It was really modest, more so than some of the other dresses, but would it be appropriate to wear she had no clue. Would Lady Mountbatten deem it future consort material?

Definitely not.

But it was just so her, or who she was trying not to be. Clean old hollywood lines with that rock and roll flare.

You're not consort material... Yet

"Just buy the dress Jackie," Zara sighed. Her head snapping up she saw Zara had been watching her pace, for how long she didn't know. "I'm not sure..."

"So the lessons have started?"

"How'd you-"

"You've got that someone kicked my puppy discouraged look. Tell me how are they going?" The air grew tight, and with that Jaclyn deflated. Her knuckles turned white as she squeezed the dress, eyes clenching shut as if to memorize it's embrace, and then she hung it back up on the sale rack.

"Oh, it can't be that bad," Zara scoffed, making her way around the racks to be closer to Jaclyn.

"You don't understand she hates me," Jaclyn groaned.

"She doesn't hate you. She's helping you after all." Hands were running down her back, but all she could do was drop her head against the metal bar that was holding hangers. "Only out of commitment to the crown."

Zara nodded, "Mama, said Granny didn't even ask her to do it. Lady Mountbatten just called asking to help you before you doomed yourself completely."

Seeing Jaclyns downcast look Zara wrapped her arm around her shoulder. "Look I know it's tough, but I still have this gut feeling that it's going to get better."

"Yeah, if I change everything about me," Jaclyn snapped her eyes turning to sharp slits.

"Ooo, are we talking about how Jackie graced Countess Mountbatten in sweats and converse?" Natania piped up as she came out to show off her outfit.

"You didn't," Zara sighed, her eyes drooping.

"I was running late-"

"You were late!" She scoffed suddenly straightening back up, her arm tightening.

"Voices down," Jaclyn hissed, scrambling to clamp a hand over Natania's laughter, "or the next daily mirror tabloid will be how I'm destined to fail as a royal wife to be."

"I thought they were already writing that?" Jaclyn shot her friends a weighted glare, but despised the sympathy that was wafting off them. "Well do we want to go get something to eat? Jackie already found the dress she's wearing to the wedding," Zara asked, sensing the need for a subject change.