Part 39

It was sad, and it really brought everyone back to earth.

On November 2nd, Meg and her third child had both passed away.

She had an internal bleed that nobody had found, and the baby had been found unresponsive in his crib that same evening.

On November 3rd, Abigail and Bennett had been rushed to the ICU with irregular heartbeats, which were rare in pups. Their mothers usually healed any defects before they ever left the womb.

It was November 15th, and Conrad was about ready to tear her hair out.

Meg's funeral had been delayed until the day before, in the vain hopes that some of her family would attend.

Only her sister had shown, so the mourning party was small, comprised of Conrad, Amber, Carlos, and Laurie.

Atlas hadn't even asked to be allowed to go to the funeral. He didn't react to the news that his girlfriend had died, and Conrad doubted he cared.

She sits with the two remaining triplets every day on her break, trying to keep them in contact with a dominant wolf.

Amber did the same, sometimes.

She didn't really feel connected to the triplets, she and their mother had never bonded, and she had basically left Atlas' pack.

Abigail was a quick healer. She had surgery that went off without a hitch.

Bennett was a little worse for wear, although he seemed to be getting better with each day that passed.

"Coffee for you," Scarlet announces, putting a cup into Conrad's empty hand.

"Thanks," she yawns, looking at the two incubators.

"Anything?" Scarlet asks, and Conrad shrugs.

"Abigail is okay. Bennett is getting better. It's probably the best outcome that could be hoped for," Conrad sighs.

"Did her parents respond to the calls?" Scarlet asks quietly, looking in at the little boy.

They look like dolls, and her heart hurts for them.

"Yes. They're demanding they get Bennett. They don't care about Abi," Conrad grimaces, shaking her head.

"They're already separated from their mother and their brother. I won't let them be split up if I can do anything about it," she sighs, rubbing her temples.

She wasn't taking these children herself, but she wasn't about to let them go to a home where they could be hurt or traumatised.

They weren't her kids, and if they had been Meg and some other guy's, she would take them on. But she didn't want the reminder or connection to Atlas, even if it was selfish.

"At least Meg was buried with love," Scarlet comments sadly, sipping her coffee.

"She shouldn't have been buried at all," Conrad grumbles.

She wasn't close to the girl, but she had been in the room when she died.

Nobody that she was close to had died before, and it had really surprised her.

Meg had been doing so well, and everything went downhill so quickly. It was scary, and she had realised that it was easier than she thought it would be to die.

"Maybe we should petition the Capital. We could be temporary guardians until we find them a more permanent solution," Scarlet suggests quietly.

She had mentioned the temporary guardianship before, but Conrad had been so distracted that she doesn't think the girl even heard her.