Return and Offers

Like a moth to flame, Cassandra found herself drawn to the store. She couldn't help it, in her moments alone during the day she found herself already on route, as if it was a beacon of light guiding her.

Maybe it was, as she found such comfort within its walls.

The laughter of children, the smiling faces of parents, it was beautiful. It was something she felt was missing in her life, as she could imagine a different one, a better one, here.

Not to mention she found herself drawn to the younger owner.

She was hoping George wouldn't notice her continued trips to his store, as they had only spoken once over her visits these past few weeks. That one encounter had been enough to drive her to near insanity, enough to make her want to throw everything away. Thankfully he hadn't seen her again, she wasn't sure she could handle it right now.

Though she didn't know that the twins had other plans.

She saw one of them helping a customer not too far away and she scurried to a different end of the store. Here she was by the love potions that she had read about during her third trip to the store. A teenage girl was eyeing them, turning the vile over in her hands.

"They work ya know...Amortentia is powerful stuff.." Cassandra smiled down at the girl, who looked desperate to tell her something.

"If you want to talk we can, I can tell you a secret actually," Cassandra told her quietly.

The young girl perked up and Cassandra leaned down and whispered "I think the boy that owns this shop is quite cute!"

They both giggled and the girl told her how she had fallen for her best friend, and was terrified to ruin their relationship. Cassandra then guided the girl to a different side of the store, helping her pick out something for her friend, a little clue.

"Thank you! They will love it!" The girl smiled at her before running off.

"Well well well..." said a voice, sinisterly slow.

"Our little cheerleader does it again...." Two voices spoke behind her, making her jump.

"Shit you scared me!" She turned to see Fred and George behind her, their hands on their hips. She shifted uncomfortably as she noticed their demeanor had changed, not the joyful pranksters she always saw in the store.

"We've seen you around here for some time," Fred started.

"Ever since you ran off after our tour," George finished.

"We would like to talk with you," they said in unison, a matching set of smirks on their faces.

"After work, say around nine?" George asked her, his voice calmer than his brother's.

She desperately wanted to know what they wanted, but Adrian would be home by then. "Um I can't... I... can I talk to you tomorrow? Right after you open?"

George frowned and Fred piped up, "Well I'm sure you'll be here like always!" He chuckled and turned to leave.

Now Cassandra was left with George, her nerves rising again.

He must have noticed as he placed his hand on her shoulder and said sweetly, "Nothing to worry about! Alright?"

George smiled at her and Cassandra nodded quickly before he left. She placed her hand on her shoulder, where his once was, the ghost of tingles left in his wake.

_________

Her mind was racing all night, as she tossed and turned in her bed. Adrian was fast asleep, facing his way, Cassandra facing the opposite.

What on earth did those two want from her? Had they told the ministry she was stalking them? She wasn't stalking them, she just...liked their store.

She sighed, feeling ridiculous. How was she to explain why she was always there, Cassandra wasn't sure she could even put it to words.

Daylight had broken, morning was here and she hadn't slept a wink.

Adrian's alarm went off and Cassandra pretended to be fast asleep. He rolled out of bed and headed to the closet. He didn't even kiss her on the forehead before he left, didn't leave her any tea either.

She sprung out of bed once she heard him leave, racing to the bathroom. She fixed up in one of her nicest outfits, clutching her purple leather purse as she walked out the door. Her heels clacked along the cobble road as she headed for the store, the large Weasley's rabbit disappearing under his hat.

The store only had a few customers as they had only opened minutes before. She was now white knuckling her purse as she fixed her jumper.

Well if they are getting me sent to Azkaban somehow, at least I'll look good. She smiled to herself before seeing one of the twins slide down the railing and jump down before her. "Just on time! I knew you'd come!"

"Good morning George," She returned politely.

"Morning, Follow me!" he said, leading her towards the back of the shop. She was fidgeting with the rings on her fingers, turning them over and over again.

George opened the door to an office, allowing her to enter. Fred was leaning against a desk, turning his wand over in his hands and George closed the door.

Merlin, they are going to kill me.

George joined his brother, both of them turning towards her. She was turning the rings faster, trying to compose herself.

"Well we have noticed you here..." George began.

"Quite often might I add," Fred interrupted.

"Everyday actually," George said to his brother. So he had seen her.

"And we've seen you with the customers," Fred continued.

"You're quite good."

The anxiety had overwhelmed her and Cassandra began rambling. "Look I know I shouldn't be here so much but I—"

"Bloody hell— calm down!" Fred interrupted again.

"We aren't mad!"

"We are trying to offer you a job!" The twins proposed in unison.

Cassandra was startled as this was nowhere near what she expected. "What? Me?"

"Well yeah, I mean you're here everyday anyway! You definitely have the availability," Fred laughed, nudging his brother.

"And as I said you are fantastic with the kiddos! It's brilliant!" George was smiling wide, a look Cassandra had grown to enjoy over her visits.

"So, what do you say?" The twins once again spoke out together.

She knew this was a fallacious idea. He would hate it. She knew Adrian loathed the twins ever since Hogwarts. She knew her parents would abhor the idea of her working here.

And she loved it.

What they didn't know wouldn't hurt them, right?

She stopped turning her rings, looking up at them both. "Yes.." she said lowly, a smile spreading across her face.

Up until now, fascination and fear had equal control over Cassandra, as if walking hand in hand with her along every step.

But something had changed, she could feel the fascination start to dominate.