thirty seven

•••

•••

BUCKY AND SAM WALKED through the busy streets of manhattan on a cool april morning. they hadn't been in the city for a while, and sam had realized the two never really hung out together.

"alright cyborg, what's on your mind?" sam asked, sitting across from bucky in the booth. they were out for lunch at a diner that sam loved in the city. bucky huffed, looking out the window to the busy street.

"just thinking about the fact that you never shut up. you're quite annoying sam." bucky looked back at sam, who smiled. sam took a sip of his water before replying.

"i love you too barnes." bucky scoffed, yet couldnt help the smirk that formed on his lips.

"in your dreams birdbrain." he replied as he too took a sip of his drink. he slipped his jacket off, the heat in the diner running on high.

they made conversation better then they expected. sam learned about bucky's younger sisters and bucky learned about sam's nephews who he hasn't seen in a while.

"you think you're gonna go to louisiana anytime soon?" questioned bucky, the waitress placing their meals down infront of them, the two both getting burgers with fries. bucky slipped off the tomatoes and placed them on sam's plate, who happily accepted them.

"yeah, soon hopefully. it's sarah's birthday soon so, might surprise them." bucky hummed in acknowledgement, taking a bite out of his burger.

they ate in comfortable silence, making some conversation as they ate. they fought over the bill, yet in the end sam paid. he swore he heard bucky mumble something under his breath.

the two walked down the streets of manhattan side by side, bucky's hands in his pockets. with bucky's heightened hearing, he heard a small little meow from behind a dumpster in a alleyway they just passed.

"sam." bucky stopped walking, sam turning around to see bucky looking into the alley. sam walked towards bucky, seeing what he was looking at. there was nothing.

"what are we looking at buck?" he questioned, bucky walking into the alley. he ignored sam's question, yet sam's question was answered as the timid meow was heard again.

sam trailed behind bucky, watching bucky crouch down and slip off his gloves. a small white cat came out from behind the dumpster, it's blue green eyes staring intensely at bucky.

"well hi there." bucky greeted, slowly sticking his hand out for the cat to sniff. it retreated back in fear, bucky frowning. sam watched as bucky pulled his hand away, watching the cat look around.