FIFTY THREE

"You said we needed to talk?"

My red horned friend walked into the small hotel room we had been cooped up in for days, hands in their pockets.

Immediately Seiko and Dabi locked eyes with each other, Dabi's body language on high alert.

They let out a small laugh and put their hand on Dabi's shoulder as they walked past him, "Relax Staples, I'm not gonna hit ya."

"I wasn't—" Dabi began but I cut him off.

"Yeah I wanted to tell you something." I said, all of us still standing.

Seiko began lowering themselves on to the bed but then grimaced and stood back up, "I think I'll take the desk chair. You guys can have the bed."

We all sat down, Dabi still tense, and it stayed quiet.

I'm not sure how to start this.

A thought I had been avoiding a lot since realizing we had to leave Japan, was that meant leaving Seiko.

I was okay with throwing everything else behind. My old life was dull and boring anyways. But Seiko was my best friend and the light in my life.

When I thought about them, this was all so sudden.

"Okay, so, uhm..."

"You're leaving. Right?" They asked, in an unreadable tone, knees up to their chest.

I hesitated, "How did you know?"

They ruffled up their mullet and sighed, "You can't go back to your apartment. You're having me watch your pets. You made me leave my home. Clearly something serious is going on," They looked to Dabi, "Not surprising."

"I'm keeping her safe." Dabi retorted.

Seiko ignored his comment and looked back to me, "It was only a matter of time until you had to flee the city."

My chest ached.

I scooted forward on the bed to get closer to my friend, "Seiko, we are going to America."

The color in their face drained and any relaxed-nonchalant demeanor they had before vanished.

"Wait, what?"

I felt so much guilt on my shoulders. It was like I was choosing Dabi over Seiko. But I just happened to fall in love and these were the circumstances.

"Why so far away? Jesus Christ." They asked dumb founded, still trying to process what I just said, "I thought you were gonna say like Northern Japan."

Dabi adjusted in his spot, probably feeling uncomfortable listening to us talk. Knowing it was him coming into my life that made all this happen. But I didn't blame him.

I glanced over to my boyfriend briefly, "Dabi is one of the most wanted criminals in Japan. Us hiding here isn't safe and we are bound to get caught eventually. Plus I'll be considered an accomplice." I paused, "I won't let him get arrested again."

Seiko's eyes flickered between us then they leaned back in the chair and crossed their arms, "Alright. Whatever."

I tilted my head, "That's all you have to say?"

"I'm not about to get emotional in front of your boyfriend."

I sighed and turned to Dabi, "I hate to ask this but do you think you could go wait in the bathroom while we talk? I'm sorry."

The black haired man had a displeased look on his face but stood up from the bed with a groan. Once he went inside and the door shut, my best friend and I looked back at each other.

Their knees dropped from their chest and their face suddenly got much softer, eyes glossing over.

"Do you really have to go so far?" They asked, almost in a whisper.

I reached out and grabbed their hands, holding them, "I'm so sorry. This is the best option we have at being safe and staying out of prison. You know I'll miss you so much."

Seiko looked down at our hands, avoiding eye contact, "How will you even leave? It's not like he can go through the airport unnoticed."

"Our friend has set it up where we will ride on a cargo ship set out to America. One of the big crates was empty but now has stuff we can live with for the trip."

"What will you do with Suki and Kenma?"

I ran my thumb over the back of their hand, "They'll come with us. We can make it work."

Seiko's head shot up, me now being able to see their eyes watering.

"You're taking them away from me too?"

Tears began streaming down Seiko's face, followed by quiet sniffles. I quickly stood up and reached down to hug them. It took them a minute but they finally wrapped their arms around me too.

Seiko was known for being the tough, carefree one. So seeing them in this state broke my heart.

"I'm so sorry for leaving you." I mumbled into their hair.

There was silence as we stayed in each other's arms. Every so often I'd squeeze tighter when I could hear them begin crying a bit harder again.

Eventually they let go and wiped their arm across their nose.

"I definitely got snot on your tshirt," they half laughed through tears, "Sorry 'bout that."

I didn't even bother looking, not caring and sat back on the bed. I watched as my best friend tried to recompose themself.

After a deep breath they looked at me, "You have to promise to call me. Even if it's from stupid burner phone. And I want to Skype or facetime too." They pointed their finger at me, "But to see Suki and Kenma, I don't care about your face."

I laughed and nodded, "Of course. I promise to make that happen."

Seiko's voice got soft again, "Please stay safe out there. I know your mindset and hobbies have changed now, but I don't want to go across the globe to visit you behind glass."

My eyes lit up, "So you'll come visit?!"

They rolled their eyes and smacked their lips together, trying to act like it wasn't a big deal, "Yeah, yeah. When I have free time. But I'm a very busy person, as you know."

I smiled, my eyes beginning to water as I thought about how much I was going to miss talking to them like this, "Of course. You're the most popular person in Japan."

"Exactly."

Both of us began laughing as a couple tears fell down my cheeks.

Seiko raised their voice, "Okay Staples, you can come out now."

The door creaked open and Dabi's tall figure awkwardly joined us again, sitting next to me on the bed.

"I didn't mean to get her into thi—"

Seiko put their hand up to stop him, "—Just take care of her from now on. Okay?"

Dabi nodded, "I will."

— — —
Author's Note:
Thank you for all the kind things you said on my last author's note. There were so many responses I couldn't get to them all. But it really helped take some pressure off me. I'm grateful to you guys x