23: Jealousy

After my brief conversation with Antonio, I'd gone back downstairs to join my friends. I wondered what I'd missed while I was absent, because a handful of unfamiliar guys were now in the mix.

"Hey," I said after squirming my way through the congested dance floor.

Lily grinned at my arrival and Romano swung an arm around my shoulder. I looked around at the group. Other than Benny, I didn't recognize the other three guys that were standing with us, although further scrutiny made me realize that I'd seen them around school. They wore the similar baggy attire that Antonio usually wore. Disdain consumed me once I realized that they were merely his ego-boosting lackeys, although I couldn't deny that they were pretty easy on the eyes.

One in particular had been making eyes at me, and I didn't miss the way his eyes lingered over my smooth legs, which were only accentuated by my costume skirt and the flashing disco lights. He was a fluffy-haired blonde with a pretty-boy look to him. I smiled and looked away.

"What'd I miss?" I peered up at Romano. "Who are these guys?"

"They're Benny and Antonio's friends," he whispered back. "Or should I say followers. They're all idiots. I think I lost a few brain cells talking to them."

I giggled at his crude words, although the blond guy must've thought I was laughing at him, because he flared the collar of his leather jacket and smirked at me. I didn't quite mind.

The music suddenly transitioned into an upbeat rap song and Lily clasped onto my hand.

"I love this song!" She yanked me closer to the speakers.

I laughed and began to jump with her. The flashing party lights sent me into euphoria and I fluttered my eyes shut as my heartbeat quickened. My tiny skirt swished with my every movement, and I played with my curly pigtails.

Suddenly, I felt a guy come up from behind me.

"Hey!" he shouted over the music.

It was the pretty blond guy who'd been staring at me earlier. I stopped jumping and became dizzy for a moment, swaying. Though, he latched onto my waist.

"Easy there!" he laughed.

I sheepishly smiled up at him. "My bad."

"You're Rose, aren't you?" He ran a hand through his golden locks and puffed out his chest.

"Yeah. And you're...?"

He seemed almost offended that I didn't know his name.

"The name's Ethan."

"Ethan," I repeated.

He laughed as if I said something funny. "You're cute."

I slowly blinked at his forward compliment and glanced at Lily, who had been eavesdropping to our conversation. She gave me an atrociously conspicuous wink, to which I stifled a laugh.

I placed my attention back on the blondie in front of me, peering at him above my eyelashes. Ethan was positively the type of guy who could get any girl he wanted. He had the same pretty-boy features and ingenuine charm that could make anyone weak in the knees. Though, the lustful look in his eyes merely reminded me of every other desperate teenage boy I'd ever encountered, and I couldn't help but compare it to the way Antonio looked at me.