Chapter 4

Taking the same route to the boardroom the next day, I went through the same emotions. However, this time, my nervousness was accompanied with a heavy dose of irritation for having to do this all over again. And I was well aware of the reason – him.

Thomas Carson.

After his walkout yesterday, my mind refused to think of much else. The strange pull seemed to persist despite my futile attempts at distraction. Trying to understand it on the other hand, only made things worse as rational explanations fell utterly short in deciphering this burning need that I was feeling for a complete stranger! Of course, I would have welcomed another perspective but asking Sasha's opinion would have only opened Pandora's box of sexual innuendos and that was something I was very keen to avoid.

So, in the end, I was left with a weird feeling of longing and emptiness that I simply could not comprehend.

But the longing had soon given way to frustration when I realised that he was part of the reason why many were losing their jobs and their livelihood. Not that I held him directly accountable, but most business people who possessed extravagant amount of wealth and influence rarely concerned themselves with the welfare of those they considered beneath them. If nothing else then his cavalier attitude yesterday only proved that people like him cared about one thing – money.

With my frustration steadily mounting, I was fairly certain that the moment I laid eyes on him, I was going to explode and say the wrong thing and get myself fired in the process.

But boy was I wrong!

In complete contradiction to my thoughts, I ended up standing in the same spot as yesterday, staring into his grey eyes and feeling all hot and bothered.

He was seated at the head of the table like the last time and looked dashing as ever. His navy suit moulded perfectly against his body enhancing his muscles every time he moved. His dark hair styled and combed back gave him a Mafia-esq look, powerful and intimidating.

My ogling came to a halt, when he rose slowly from his seat and extended his hand in my direction with an expectant look in his eye.

And before my mind could issue the appropriate commands to respond, my body moved towards him as if pulled by an invisible thread. I walked upto him in a daze, my heart racing at the prospect of being close to him, to touch him.

The minute our hands enclosed; I felt a shiver go up my arm. My body suddenly heated, the feeling of pins and needles traversing across my skin was like little electrodes transferring live current through my veins. This thing – this pull felt all too real. Like a physical being inside of me, calling for something. For him.

What the hell!

Shaking my hand gently, he stared at me with that intense gaze. "Miss Sutherland. I'm Thomas Carson. It's nice to meet you again. And I do want to apologize about yesterday. I hope you can forgive me for leaving abruptly".

His voice was low and smooth like honey with a gentleness to it. Hearing it, sent another wave of curious pleasure up and down my body. God this man was hot. There was no other way to describe it. Up close, I could clearly make out the sharp lean features of his body. It seemed to be crafted for one purpose – sin.

I couldn't help but stare.

Realising that I was once again ogling, I awkwardly cleared my throat before responding.

"That's alright Mr Carson. No harm done"

What the fuck? Did I just let him slide after bitching and fuming about his behaviour for hours on end? Something was definitely wrong with me. Reluctantly pulling away from his grip, I sat down and only then realised that we were alone. Mitch and gang were absent.