36| At the drive-in

Max
________________

The traffic at this time is crazy, but for once I'm not impatient. Alyssa talks so much that almost an hour later feels like ten minutes. She touches on things I have no knowledge of, like the college process and farmers markets and a bunch of other crap, like teen romance shows I've never heard of. If she were anyone else, I'd have fallen asleep at the wheel by now, but the way she lights up whenever she talks has got me excited.

"So, what," I say, making a left turn, "he wanted to date a girl who looked just like his old dead girlfriend?"

"Yeah," she says. "They were dopplegangers."

"And he's a vampire," I clarify.

"Uh-huh." She's smiling at me, surprised by my interest, but God help me, I am interested. Not in the inner workings of her batshit crazy shows, but in her.

I used to think you had to have everything in common for a relationship to work. I never believed in the bullshit of opposites attract: humans aren't magnets, we're social creatures who enjoy being around people just like us, but around Alyssa, I find myself questioning everything I've ever believed. 

"He sounds like a creep," I say.

"You think everyone's a creep," she replies. "What was it you said about Romeo? Oh yeah, that he's impulsive and naive."

"He is," I insist.

She laughs. "You're not really the romantic type, are you?"

"Not really, no."

We pull into the old Sears Parking lot next to Sears. I glance at Alyssa, watching as she takes in the several cars pointed toward a large flat screen extended in front of a backdrop of stars. It looks even better than I'd imagined right now: we're catching the last showing of Grease, which means there are hardly any cars around, and the glow of the stars against the burnt dusk sky casts a strange purple glow against the clouds.

She breaks into the most wonderful grin as I pull up in front of the screen. Not far from the car is a popcorn and drinks stand, so I ask her what she wants then make my way over to the stand. I end up coming back with more than she asked for: coke, two bags of popcorn, and several chocolate bars. We lay it all out on the dashboard and recline in our chairs, where I feel her looking at me.

"What?" I ask. "Did you want something different?"

"No," she says, still smiling. "I'm just impressed." 

Relief settles in the pit of my stomach. I hadn't admitted it to myself, but a part of me was scared she wouldn't like this, and that feeling is one I am definitely not used to.

"Grease is one of my favorite movies," she says, reaching for the popcorn. "Good choice."

"I've never seen it," I say, settling back.

She pauses, then turns mid-popcorn bite. "You've never seen Grease? Max, have you been living under a rock? What's wrong with you?"

I can't help but laugh. "It's not really my kind of film. I like things with violence."  

"That says a lot about you."

"I know."

As soon as it starts, we both fall quiet. Or I do, at least, Alyssa chomps on her popcorn so loud, I turn and give her this look that says, Seriously?

"What?" she says. "It's crunchy. How am I supposed to eat quietly?"

I shake my head, laughing, before turning back to the screen. I was right about Grease not being my thing, and the whole thing is cheesy as hell, but every time I look over and see Alyssa smiling, I know it was worth it.