nineteen: the helicopter

My eyelids shot open, as I sat panting heavily from another dream I couldn't quite remember. It was fuzzy, just like last time. I knew it wasn't something I enjoyed seeing; people got hurt and it was sad, but that was all I was sure of.

Just like my dream, my surroundings were fuzzy too. I wasn't entirely sure where I was, until my eyes finally started to settle on individual things. And then I remembered.

So, it wasn't just some strange reality I had concocted in my head, it was real. All of it.

I was sitting upright with my shoulder against one side of the wall, facing a sleeping Frypan and Winston. They both looked exhausted, so I'm glad they're finally getting a decent amount of sleep. I looked up slightly, seeing that it was somewhat bright as beautiful colours filled the space. An orange and yellow hue hung in the air, making me come to the conclusion that the sun must be about to set. The light from the sky was falling, making the night begin just as the day faded.

I think I preferred the night, anyway.

I turned my head to my left as something I was not expecting caught my attention. Newt was sleeping peacefully next to me. He looked so content and peaceful, staying completely still while I watched his chest rise and fall just the way it was supposed to.

I didn't even notice it before, but his hand rested softly on my thigh as I looked back at his face, not being able to contain the small smile that was creeping across my face.

He didn't look upset or tired, not stressed or frightened, he for once looked untroubled, at ease almost. His body laid directly next to mine as I didn't even realise we were that close, meaning that if I were to move, he would wake up. I didn't want to do that to him, as this may have been the first time in a long while where the worried lines hadn't appeared on his forehead.

I took a short breath inward before moving my arms up to tie my hair into a ponytail. It was warm in the helicopter with everyone's body heat compacted so closely together, so keeping my hair out of my face would hopefully keep me cool.

Just as I lowered my left arm, Newt stirred slightly in his sleep. I kept completely still, not wanting to wake him further.

It seemed to work, as he stopped moving and continued in his previous position. His hand still rested on my thigh.

If it were anyone else, I would have broken his hand already. But he was different; for whatever reason.

He didn't feel the same to me as everyone else did. I wasn't sure how to feel about that at first, but I'm coming to terms with it. Still not loving the feeling, but not dismissing it entirely.

"Morning." A voice snapped me out of my thoughts as my head shot towards Newt. He was awake. He looked down at me slightly, his eyes reaching mine as a small grin fell on his lips. He looked a little more refreshed than earlier, as his eyes looked less sunken in and his face looked fuller.

I peered up at him, as everything that I could be worrying about seemed to disappear.

"Morning." I said quietly, my one aim being to not wake the others who still laid around us, sleeping softly. He noticed his hand resting on my thigh and went slightly pink in the face. I turned the corners of my mouth up into a small grin as I watched him grow embarrassed. He removed it slowly, swallowing thickly as he thought of what to say.

"Er, sorry. I didn't realise." He chuckled to himself slightly, putting his hand on the back of his neck as he rubbed it, trying to hide the sudden redness in his face. "It's okay." I said as I rested my head on the metal door, exhaling as I did so.

And just like a tsunami taking a city by surprise, my dream came back to me.

It was about Chuck.

It was a nightmare, reminding me of everything that happened just a few hours before, when the one thing I swore I would never let happen, happened. My face dropped immediately as my expression went cold again, my previously happier demeanor changing quickly to heartbreak again.

Newt picked up on the sudden mood change immediately as his concerned look returned. "Hey? Are you okay?" I looked away at his words, not wanting to remind him, but I also didn't want to lie.

"I just remembered." I spoke quietly, hoping that the lower decibel would maybe soften the memory, but of course it didn't, as just as quickly as mine did, Newt's face dropped also.

"I dreamt about it last night, but it only just came back to me." I continued, filling the silence as he sat there, reabsorbing all the trauma. He turned his head back to me slowly as my eyes darted from his and the floor.

"He deserved better." The boy spoke softly, his voice catching in his throat.

He was right.

He did deserve better. 

A/N: I miss Chuck already, i absolutely adored him in the series :(( But on a slightly happier note, i hope you guys enjoy this sweet little moment between y/n and Newt. Lots more of those to come don't worry ;) 

As always, thank you for the reads and favourites. It means a lot <33

Have a great day xo