Chapter 52 - Redamancy

______________________________________________________________________________

Just enough madness 

to make them brilliant.

______________________________________________________________________________

The reunion went well, so well that Betelgeuse has been presently sitting at the table in the kitchen in front of two brooding men, waiting for one of them to utter a single word yet.

After the initial shock, watery smiles followed tears of happiness and love. Betelgeuse had been elated with the new atmosphere that had enveloped the dim sitting room. The faces of the two men radiated love and contentment, grinning at each other with childlike innocence. Betelgeuse even noticed Kreacher making a small leap of joy. The solemn house-elf had immediately regained his usual frown, but she was convinced that under his scowling appearance resided a merry spirit.

Alas, the untroubled atmosphere only lasts so long.

That was why Betelgeuse was now sitting in the kitchen in front of two mute grown men with crossed arms and deep frowns on their elegant faces.

"You two act like children."

Her statement was met by a deepened scowl from Regulus and a scoff from Sirius. Betelgeuse gawked at her uncle with raised eyebrows. "You punched my father, Sirius!" She shouted, looking at the black eye Regulus sported with an uncanny composure. "And you!" She continued, hardening her stare towards the younger brother, "You blasted Sirius down the stairs!"

Sirius opened his mouth first, "He deserved it for faking his own death." He glanced in the opposite direction of Regulus, tightening his crossed arms.

Regulus looked Betelgeuse in the eyes, "He deserved much more for getting himself locked in Azkaban."

"EXCUSE YOU!" Sirius hollered, getting to his feet.

Regulus followed suit, standing before his older brother with an expression of defiance. "I said what I said."

"Y-you," Sirius seethed, "Soggy little brat —"

"Enough," Betelgeuse calmly ordered, slowly rising to her feet. She looked from her uncle to her father with sharp eyes. "Apologise. The both of you. Now."

The two men remained in silence, deaf to her command. Betelgeuse raised her eyebrows in amazement. She could not believe the two; they were having a staring contest. "At least, blink, for Morgana's sake! I am too young for this," she finally broke the poignant silence, making her way to the door. "I am heading to Fred's."

Regulus diverted his attention, snapping his head towards his daughter, "No, you are not. We need to talk about this Weasley boy of yours," he stated sternly, raising a brow at her.

Betelgeuse turned around, "Oh, now you desire to maturely talk. Where did the silent brooding of a few minutes ago run?" She defiantly taunted, leaning against the threshold. She redirected her grey eyes towards her uncle, scowling, "And when did you have time to mention Fred? Between a punch and a blast down the stairs?" Her provocation was met with muteness once again. "Why are you like this?" She demanded, exasperated.

Sirius gazed sideways to her father, "Inbreeding?"

Betelgeuse saw Regulus ponder for a moment, then he nodded, "Inbreeding, indeed."