Where She Came From

|=====|=====|

TW/CW: N/A

Prompt: [requested]

Characters: Cleo

Style: Backstory

Word Count: ~520

AU: Mortuus AU

|=====|=====|

The server had a mixed reputation. You see, there was a group of scientists who called themselves 'Testers', but everyone knew that they were Watchers at some point about 170 years ago. These 'Testers' had one main goal, to find a cure for mortality and they thought they'd done it. They had only tested it on one human when they released the gas that was supposed to make everyone immortal. To be fair, it worked at first. No one took any damage from anything, anyone who was sick was suddenly healed.

It happened quickly, whilst most people were asleep. A side effect kicked in. It deteriorated their minds and changed their appearances. You looked at what the people had become and thought of a more humanized version of a typical zombie.

Now let's look closer at the protagonist of this story. She grew up, just like everyone else. During her childhood she had nice parents and a sister, but they don't matter in this story. She was always more of an introvert, and she only talked to one person, but again, that doesn't really matter. Her name was Cleo, she was 16 at the time. Short copper hair hung around her emerald eyes and her skin, once light, was now a dull light grey. You looked at her and saw someone on the verge of death.

She was running through the city, trying to get to a safe place. Cleo spotted someone hiding in an alleyway, someone who was like her. Heading towards the stranger, she wondered why neither of them had been affected the way everyone else had. As soon as she was within reach, they grabbed her wrist and their surroundings changed.

They were now in a forest, Cleo had hundreds of questions running through her mind but there was one thing she knew,
"We can never come back here..." When no reply came from the stranger, Cleo questioned them,
"Who even are you?"
"I... I don't know..." They paused for a moment and Cleo took this time to look at them properly. They had short, silver hair and a pair of golden rimmed glasses framed their indigo eyes. Their pale skin was littered with scars, the most noticeable being one that ran through their mouth. They continued,
"They called me Teller. The Testers. I don't really remember anything before them."
"What do we do now?" Cleo questioned, "We can't stay here..."
"No. You'll just have to find a new server to live on."
"What about you? You're the only other person left, what are you gonna do?"
"Wherever you go, I will be near."
Cleo pulled out her communicator and logged into a different server, knowing she wasn't alone.

Cleo hopped from server to server for years, always leaving once people started asking questions. After years, she was invited to a private server. She didn't know what to expect, whether they would accept her. Taking a breath, she logged onto the server. Finding herself surrounded by people, some hybrids, like herself, some regular players. She looked at these people and knew she was where she was meant to be.
|=====|=====|

Sorry this chapter took so long considering how bad it is. This was requested ages ago by Napu196. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, until the next one, bye! ~Mors