XVIII - Coma Patients Tell No Tales

lil A/N before we begin- the next few parts do not show Amy or Rory in the best light. It's necessary for the story- but I don't wanna see any slander in the comments. Just bare with me, I promise all will become clear in time :)

[-]

Seeing the double Rory sat on the edge of the hospital brought back savoury memories from the Prince's Bliss hotel. There was nothing more surreal to you than what you had just witnessed- watching an ethereal, glowing presence emerge from your brother and sit forward on the hospital bed as if nothing was amiss. The old Rory was lying unconscious on the bed, his arm draped limply over the side of the bed.

Glancing to your left, you spotted Amy do a slight double take at the presence of the new Rory. The more you looked at him, the more you noticed the faint resemblance to a young Brad Pitt- a man that Amy had talked about very often as a teenager, and how she wished she could just sit and gaze into his dreamy blue eyes. Despite this change, the clone was still fundamentally Rory. He had the same sheepish demeanor, and almost didn't realise there was anything different about him- or that he wasn't himself at all.

The second Rory scanned the room, meeting each of your eyes individually. He smiled at you kindly, scrunching his nose up slightly as he did when you were kids. It was hard to perceive what Amy was feeling at this exact moment- it was a mixture of sadness at the apparent loss of the old Rory, and happiness at the substitute.

Both Doctors had already rushed to the side of the unconscious Rory, checking his pulse fretfully. It was at this point that the second Rory realised there was something wrong, and looking down at the more frail and less conventionally attractive version of himself he sprang from the bed in disbelief.

'But.. that's me. How can I be here and there all at once?'

'Well this is going to be fun to explain,' you mutter under your breath.

Doctor Stapleton pulls the second Rory to one side, and Amy comes over to you. There was a large grin plastered across her face.

'You're looking rather chipper, all things considered.'

'I know, I should be worried for him. But look what we've gained instead! Tell me he isn't the spit of Brad Pitt.'

'He isn't the spit of Brad Pitt.' you reply dryly.

'Oh come on. There's still a little bit of Rory in there, but that's a solid 95% Pitt.'

You rolled your eyes a little, and headed towards the Doctor, who was peering out of the window wistfully. He hadn't said a word to anyone really since the second Rory had appeared, which was incredibly uncharacteristic of him.

'Hey, you okay?'

'I'll be honest, [Y/N], I've been better. I can't help but feel like this is my fault.'

His gaze didn't break from the window, and his expressionless face was almost haunting in comparison to his usual joviality.

'How could any of this possibly be your fault?'

'Because if I'd just stayed away after the wedding, then they would never have gone on the starliner and then-'

'You'd have never met me.'

'That is a rather good point. Well then maybe it was worth it.' he smiles down at you, breaking eye contact with the garden beyond the window for the first time. You both turn back into the room, and look over to the other people in the room. Stapleton left the room carrying a clipboard while you were talking to Amy, and so she was left with the second Rory. You could tell from her stance that she was enjoying it a bit too much.

'Of course it was. Plus Amy looks rather happy with the pretty boy over there.'

'She does, doesn't she?' the Doctor says. 'Well that's good then. At least the sample works.'

Without any sort of explanation, the Doctor waltzes off through the door, and smiles back at you before heading down the corridor in the same direction as Stapleton. Looking down at Rory's limp, unconscious body, you sat beside the bed and took his hand in yours.

'Hi Rory. I don't know if you can hear me or not. They say that people in comas can hear everything around them, but I don't know whether that's true, or even if you're in a coma right now or some other kind of space sleep. As much as your little clone over there is impressing Amy, there's something not right about him. He might be you and all, but it doesn't quite feel like it. He's a little too confident for my liking.'

You look over to see him place a hand confidently on the inside of the door frame, and watch Amy giggle beneath him in a way you'd never really seen her do before. He was definitely taller as well.

'Anyway, we're doing all we can to get you back. He may look more like Brad Pitt, but if you become the attractive sibling then I won't be able to cope. Everything'll fall out of place.' you chuckle. 'The Doctor's off somewhere with Stapleton, and I think they're trying to find a way to wake you up. The way I understand it, one can't live while the other does. As soon as you wake up, the guy's dust. But the problem is, we don't know how to wake you up.'

Shifting slightly in your seat, you drop his hand and begin fiddling with the ring on your middle finger.

'We're doing our best, Rory, so don't you go giving up, alright?'

At that moment, both Doctors appeared at the door dramatically. Amy turned away from the second Rory, and you stood from the bedside chair quickly.

'We've done it. We've worked it out.'