15. All Clans Together As One

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 15: All Clans Together As One

He didn't have time to punish me. I changed into a black silk gown, a neck holder one with a gold chain down the centre of my back. My rustic golden curls in a partial bun and the rest cascading down my back after the maids who were assigned by the court step out after finishing my make-up, my jewellery, my hair, my looks...everything but the way I felt.

He's on a small podium in front of a mirror, removing his tie and unravelling a few buttons other women would likely consider sexy at the exposing skin of collarbone and chest, everything he wore was pitch black. A darkness that couldn't even consume him. We look like we're going to a funeral. He still hadn't said a single word, but I knew his eyes were on me through the reflection of the mirror, "Why so glum? This feast should be enjoyable, there will even be dancing." He says lightly.

There was no other suffering torture like anticipation.

Oops, I lied.

There was real suffering.

And there was real torture.

He pockets his hands in his sharp dress pants, his deep, almost navy blue shoes only brought the tiniest of colour to him as he kneels down before me and slides my uncomfortable heels on me. The one thing the maids didn't do. I fidgeted mindlessly with my rings, the make-up and fake lashes on my own were making my eyes water from the heavy uncomfortableness of it all. He lowers the dress back down and the bed dips next to me as he takes a slow seat.

I stare at the clock.

It was still too early to go down. We had another half hour and I was dreading every minute of it, "Are you going to ask?" He says to me.

I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of an answer. I knew what was to come. What would he do? Bend me over his knee? Slap me. Make me count how many times like a sadistic psycho? Go all fifty shades on me? It made me sick, like even the thought of him touching me right now would make the dam break and everything would come crumbling down.

I shouldn't feel like this for sticking up for myself.

"I will not do any of those things, Cele." Oh fantastic, he's given me a nickname, he's used a softer tone of voice, he's made me believe he's not like every other Alpha male in this pathetic building. I didn't buy it. Not after what he said to Houston. Not after announcing our sex life, or lack there of.

"I'm sorry I did that. I had no right to, I know. I was just...not in my right mind." He murmurs.

He's never in his right mind. None of them are. It's in their DNA to be cavemen and absolute arseholes even when they have an audience. Houston had no qualms in dishing out little misogynistic digs, and Serena stood there like a pretty dumb princess, just agreeing like a doll. A faceless, nameless doll, there to make him look good but fucking hell, not to talk. Not to stand up for another girl while her pathetic mate treats her like scum.

"Celestine, why don't you say all this aloud, instead of making me read your mind all the time?" He asks me, leaning his elbows on his knees, intertwining his fingers. Like talking this out would be a smarter way than a punishment my gut told me was coming. Like I should feel the undertone of enriched anger, a thinly veiled sting of fury under his skin, in his blood. Even when the calm serenity of waves on a beach at midnight under a crescent moon is how he seems to be reacting here.

"I'm sorry for what I said to him, I should have put him in his place." He reaches for my hand, but I pull it away from him. I didn't want to be touched, not right now. His skin isn't calming, his aura is disruptive and I felt suffocated as of right now. This is what it has turned into. Maybe what triggered it is the way Serena handled her mate. Or the tears eyes of that skinny Beta who had scars, but didn't look ruffled up.